Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Right rear brake, 1988 ford f250

Visiting Guest

07-11-03, 12:01 PM   #1  
bban
Right rear brake, 1988 ford f250

I have a 1988 Ford F250 amd the right rear brake engages when you put it in drive. If I put it in reverse it releases. Sure would like some expert help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-11-03, 12:10 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Pull the wheels off and have a look. Might have a broken piece of hardware in the drum.

Usually when I do rear brakes I throw out all the hardware in favor of new hardware, replace the shoes and if one wheel cylinder is bad, both go. In this fashion, I put everything new, except for maybe resurfacing a drum or replacing it if it's old and worn.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-11-03, 10:21 PM   #3  
also check the emergency brake cable to that tire--a frozen one will cause exactly what you describe. if you can't get the drum off, try hitting both the drum and the backing plate (after soaking them in a rust good penetrant)with a hammer gently and do not aim near the hydraulic line or bleeder screw, and hit it gently! this will usually jar the shoes enough to free up all but the most rusted up cable, you might also have to back off the adjuster inside the drum a lot if the cable is rusted solid or even cut the cable as you will be replacing it anyway

make sure the front tires are chocked very well, the e-brake is tied together to both rear wheels, if one side is released--so will the other side, and leaving it in park or in gear won't help you here either

work safely and let us know what you find!

Visiting Guest

07-12-03, 06:55 AM   #4  
bban
I have received information from two very kind professionals who have helped me a great deal. The truck is a one owner and I have been the only person to drive it. I have a little ove 100,000 miles and it runs great. The motor is a 460. It has been setting for a while and I am going to completly restory it. Yjanks for the help!

bban

Visiting Guest

07-12-03, 06:57 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Good deal. Just don't gamble with brakes, that's a big beast to stop with poor brakes! .

Let us know what you find when you get it apart.

Search this Thread