Unique sound when idling on 94 Grand Voyager

Old 07-11-03, 05:59 PM
mlflag
Visiting Guest
Unique sound when idling on 94 Grand Voyager

I have a 94 Grand Voyager with a 3.3. with 138,000 miles on it. When idling, there is a sound coming from the engine department that if I didn't know better, sounds like a loose chain. When you accelerate the sound goes away. Does this vehicle have a timing chain instead of a belt? If so, do the chains stretch, break or ever need replacing like a timing belt would? Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-03, 07:00 PM
Your van has a timing belt.. But can't help you on the noise.. Could be lifters clattering, loose bolt or braket somewhere...A little more description would help.. Like where about on the engine is it coming from, top, bottom, left, right, ect..

Old 07-11-03, 07:36 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
check your water pump, idlers and tensioner. Maybe you hear a bad bearing.

Old 07-11-03, 07:58 PM
the 3.3 liter has a timing chain not a timing belt a common problem that would make noise would be the water pump bearing making noise as suggested earlier can be easily checked by removing drive belt and checking for side to side play at the water pump pulley.

Old 07-11-03, 08:17 PM
Visiting Guest
MSARGENT i hate to correct you but all 3.3L have a timing chain, you must have been thinking of a 3.0L, the mitsu engine

i'll go in order of ease.

3.3L's can make some noises, the first thing to do is open the hood and look for the noise. has this always been there, did it come on all of a sudden or has it been gradual(or has the radio finally broke!) easiest thing is to spray a little (few drops, few tablespoons) of water onto the belt, if the noise goes away, your problems are solved--replace it and with a new tensioner.

next thing, with the keys in your pocket, put your right hand on top of the engine and grab the belt with your left hand between the alternator and motor mount, pull as hard as you can, the 'automatic' tensioner should let a bit of slack come up in the belt, if it won't budge, or it comes up and won't take up the slack again and go down, the tensioner isn't so 'automatic' anymore, poor design, i've replaced literally hundreds of these(even today) also look closely at the tensioner,(under the alternator and above the power steering pump) if it isn't in line with all the other pulleys--it's bad.

next, on to the timing chain--they can make a sort of rattling chain sound, usually quieter on a stone cold engine, but annoying when the engine is fully warmed up, especially after like a half hour drive, ths noise sounds like it's coming from the dead center of the engine as you are looking at it. i'll always take the belt off to make sure that it can only be a chain noise, as a water pump or even idler pulley can make a similiar noise. i've seen vans with 200,000 miles plus with the most awful sounding chain rattling away, but i haven't seen one jump yet, the gears are both steel.
(yes the valves will hit if it jumps)

before all this, i hope there's oil in the engine, you might have something else wrong if it's been neglected, like 8,000 mile oil changes.

if you want to take the belt off, get a 15mm wrench, put the open end on the tensioner and try to tighten it(clockwise) towards the motor mount--to remove enough slack to slide the belt off right behind the a/c pulley at the little idler gear, make a map of how the belt goes around because it can take you all day to get it back on! and with a lot of choice words!

let us know what you do/what you find

Old 07-12-03, 03:01 AM
I stand corrected!!! Sheesshhh that's embarrassing!!!! I must have been dwelling on the 3.0 Voyager that was in my bay this morning... Appologies for any confusion I caused!!

Mike-I appreciate the reminder/correction!!

Old 07-12-03, 06:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
All posters are correct.

Original poster, will it do it in park or neutral if you accelerate or only when moving in drive/reverse?