car toonup

Old 07-11-03, 07:40 PM
tenderfoot
Visiting Guest
car toonup

I have a 1994 volkswagen golf that need a toonup oh so badly.
Problem is $$$$. I have to do it myself and am not to sure how.

I know i have to change the oil, oil filter, sparkplugs, wires, air filter. But thats about all i know. It sounds simple enough when people say just change this or that.
Does on e have to gap a new spark plug or is it all ready done?

If anyone out there knows please let me in on how to do one
Thanks in advance
Tenderfoot

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-03, 09:43 PM
Visiting Guest
tune-ups are a VERY CHEAP investment in your car's future, picture having to buy another car because the engine locked up because of a $19.99 oil change that wasn't done, picture having to buy another engine because you didn't know what you're doing and a piece of broken spark plug fell into the cylinder, picture also crashing into a tree/ditch/ another car because a tie-rod wore out and fell out and you couldn't steer anymore

if you already have the tools and have tuned up other cars before, there's no difference with this one, but buying the sockets and wrenches and drain bucket and ramps can cost more than having it done professionally, plus 'you' can do a lot of damage if you do it wrong

i'm NOT trying to discourage you, you don't sound very confident or knowledgable in yourself, i'm just trying to point out some of the things that can and sometimes do go wrong, have you done anything major, like changed a lightswitch or an outlet in the house, maybe changed a pool filter cartridge, or fixed a leaky faucet, or changed a flat tire before, then you are capable of this job, if these things scare you, you're out of your league as these are just as hard a job(plus a professional might also check the whole car over--brakes, exhaust, steering, suspension, tires)

post back here and either i or someone else will walk you through it if you still want to do it

Old 07-12-03, 07:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

If I said that, CERTAIN people would jump all over me for being unprofesssional . LOL.

Original poster: You can do it. This is not job that requires a lot of specialized tools, knowledge or know how. Worst thing you can do is make it run worse than it does now and a shop could correct it, which would be added cost of course. Aside from the car falling on you (which you can avoid if you are safe in working) and gas in your eyes from changing the fuel filter (which you can avoid by shielding your eyes and being careful), you really can't screw it up .

1) Grab a friend to help you. If nothing else, he/she is there for moral support. Sometimes I've been like "Shoot, how did this come off?" and my friend, even if he knows less than me would say, "I remember THIS screw being next to the battery. Look, logically, it can only go this way".

My cousin who fixes computers and networks for a living has turned into an EXCELLENT car DIY person by hanging around me and the two of us just working together. He bought a 60 dollar set of Craftsman tools and he's doing well.

Usually, I'll do the parts ordering and information research and we do repairs together together. Automotive repairs follow logic as do computers, so the two go hand in hand.

2) Visit your public library. They often have repair manuals you can take out free to guide you on how to do the job.

3) Change spark plugs (must be gapped), cap, rotor, wires, air filter, gas filter, oil and filter. When changing the fuel filter, shield your eyes with good quality chemical resistant goggles and wear gloves so the fuel doesn't get all over you.

4) You can support the vehicle on ramps, this is the best way. In lieu of that, a floor jack can be used to jack up the vehicle, but YOU MUST support it with a quality jackstand. If the jack were to give way, you could be killed. I cannot stress safety enough when working on cars. Also, make sure the key is in your pocket at all times. If someone were to accidentally start the car while you're working on the system, you could get zipped pretty good.

5) Take one spark plug wire off at a time to avoid mixup. Are we talking about a 2.0L or a 2.8L? The 2.8L back plugs and wires are pretty hard to get to as I remember. The 2.8L is stuffed in there good!

What I do when changing oil is to put one side of the car on the curbing in front of my house and that puts the car on an angle to get underneath to drain the oil and get to the filter. No ramps needed and the car is never off the ground so it's safe .

Reply back to what tools and help you have at your disposal and we'll go from there .