Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1998 ford mustang 3.8 liter

Visiting Guest

07-12-03, 09:55 PM   #1  
richyd36
1998 ford mustang 3.8 liter

helllo ive got a 98 mustang with a 3.8 liter engine the car runs great no miss or anything however when you are driving the car at a certain speed say anywhere between 35 and 60 mph when you go to slow down the engine wont idle down like if you pull up to a stop light and you are sitting there with your foot on the brake it is probably idling at about 1200 rpms in gear with your foot on the brake and when you take off you can roll along at abot 45 to 50 with out touching the gas and sometimes if you kick down the gas pedal real hard and let off it will idle down where its supposed to but not always and then it will eventually do it again its been tuned up i checked the throttle cable for frays it seems fine i checked the linkage and the cruise control it seems fine it just started doing this all of a sudden there are no check engine lights or anything on so no codes if you could shed some light on what i need to look for i would greatly appreciate it also another problem ive noticed if you can help with it is this car aproximately 4300 miles ago had an extensive brake job done i mean all 4 calipers pads and rotors and a couple of weeks ago i noticed not always just sometimes when you hit the brakes it will pull real hard to the left but its not every time this mostly seems to happen if you have only driven the car for 10 to 15 minutes and are going 50 to 60 mph and hit he brakes hard but after youve driven it for a while it seems to stop doing it someone told me that it could be the brake line on the right side getting clogged and making it pull to the left is this possible if you could shed some ideas on these problems i would greatly apreciate it thanks and god bless

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-12-03, 10:04 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Dude! Please punctuate your posts! I had to read that twice and I'm still confused.

1) Please state the actual problems.
2) Please state what was done on the "complete" brake job.

etc, etc, etc.

Visiting Guest

07-12-03, 10:24 PM   #3  
richyd36
it idles at 1200 to 2000 rpms after beig driven for alittle while and will idle back down to normal sometimes if you kick down the gas pedal and let off. the cable and linkage are fine there are no codes . the brake job included new pads , new calipers , and new rotors . on all four wheels . and it was fine for a while but now it pulls to the left when you hit your brakes hard . mostly at higher speeds and it seems to be intermitten . not everytime you hit the brakes only sometimes

07-12-03, 10:27 PM   #4  
next time it is idling fast pop the hood and see if the throttle is closed all the way, it should be sitting on the base screw if its not somethings holding it up cable, wornout or binding throttle body.
if the throttle is closed all the way suspect bad iac motor causing the increased idle.
brake hoses can cause pulling when braking and i would suggest you replace both front hoses at the same time, or if you had a shop perform the brake job take it back to them and see what they say about the problem.

Visiting Guest

07-12-03, 10:32 PM   #5  
richyd36
i have checked it when it was idling high . and it does sit right against the throttle body . i did the brakes myself . the shop wanted about 450.00 to do them. they where fine until about 3 or 4 weeks ago and it just started acting up all of a sudden .

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-12-03, 10:44 PM   #6  
how do four calipers go bad on a 98 vehicle, maybe you live within .1 mile of the ocean----make sure all four tires have the same air pressure. non-original rims will cause weird pulling, especially with a suspension starting to wear out, try switching the front tires from right to left and see if it pulls the other way---that's a tire pull. did you lube the caliper and pad 'slides' with a good 'never-seize' type product after removing all the rust with a wire brush

Visiting Guest

07-12-03, 10:55 PM   #7  
richyd36
the rear calipers were bad as well as rotors and it needed front brakes as well so i just did it all at once to keep from having to do it again. the front rotors were only 18.00 new verses 10.00 to have them turned. so i just went with new it has the original rims and the tires have maybe 5000 miles on them the suspension seems tight. i checked the tie rods and ball joints they dont move or wiggle in any way. this car just turned 100,000 miles. but had a major reconditioning done around 95000.complete tune up ,brake job , tires ,serpentine belt, hoses , and struts thanks for your guys help you are great

Visiting Guest

07-13-03, 04:17 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Check alldata.com for any bulletins that match what you describe here. If you find any, have the Ford dealer print 'em out for you so you'll know what the fix is.

The pulling of the brakes is likely a bad rubber flex hose, so change them both. When they go bad, they act like a check valve.

07-13-03, 06:43 AM   #9  
I suspect if you spent $18 per rotor they came warped from the factory. Not unheard of. I would either cut them or spend the money on Ford factory rotors. Before doing that make sure the air pressure in your tires is exactly where it should be.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-13-03, 10:59 PM   #10  
that would be a first for me---warped rotors out of the box. rusted however---different story

also---cutting warped rotors ends up with warped rotors about 1,000 miles later---those i always replace, especially at $18 a piece

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-13-03, 11:09 PM   #11  
which reminds me, original poster--richyd, were those new rotors spotless, all anti-rust goo removed completely, it can contaminate new pads and make it pull if one side is cleaned better than the other

note to easywind: warped rotors would cause the brake pedal or steering wheel to shake, not a pulling condition

Visiting Guest

07-14-03, 05:53 PM   #12  
richyd36
yes tese rotors were brand new out of the packaging . i had to spray brake cleaner on them to remove the oily film when i put them on . i think im going to try the brake hoses they are the only thing left thats not new and there only about 13.00 each . i even bought the anti seize lubricant for the slides and cleaned them and lubed them good . because i dont like doing things the second time around so id rather do it right the first time and be done . however it seems as if im going to have to put the hoses on if that doesnt do the trick i dont know. thanks for all your help ill let you know what happens

Search this Thread