Air Conditioning

Old 07-12-03, 07:06 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air Conditioning

I have a strange noise coming from the compressor on my 2001 Ford F150 truck. The noise is a screech (very loud), like the clutch slipping, but I can't detect any slippage. Could it be the front bearing or the belt? Is it a major job to replace the clutch or front bearing? How do I do it?

Old 07-12-03, 07:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
It could be the compressor itself. This would require discharging the A/C system---a job for a professional.

The truck is a 2001 vehicle---dealer's problem under the factory warranty.

Old 07-12-03, 03:29 PM
R
Are there any other responses to the original question?

Old 07-12-03, 03:35 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have you contacted the dealership and asked about a warranty repair? If not, how about Ford's hotline?

Also, have you checked the belt and tensioner?

Why mess with something that's covered for free? You paid for a new truck in 2001 with a warranty, let them make good on it .

Old 07-12-03, 03:39 PM
R
I appreciate the help. The truck has 116,900 miles on it and I don't believe Ford would honor any warranty. The belt seems very tight

Old 07-12-03, 04:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How on God's green earth you drove so many miles in 2 years is beyond me. WOW! LOL.

Take the belt off. Spin the clutch by hand and listen to the sound. If it's rough or choppy or noisy, you've found your problem.

Check alldata.com for any bulletins that might pertain to the problem as well.

Old 07-12-03, 10:27 PM
Visiting Guest
if the compressor is noisy with the a/c off--it's the clutch bearing(usually there will be tan/rusty dust all around it too)

if it's noisy when the a/c is on, it can be a slipping belt(spray a little water on the belt) it can be a slipping clutch, caused by maybe a weak coil, oil on the friction surfaces or a compressor about to lock up, look for sparks or smoke, you can usually see a slipping clutch and it will be very hot to the touch(engine off)

i've never replaced a ford a/c clutch, but on other makes, it's usually one central bolt/nut, then two snap rings, which means you need about a good 6-8 inches in front of it to get it off, some kinds need a puller to get it off too, but if it's bad anyway, two screwdrivers and a hammer make a good 'one-time only' puller

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: