cooling system

Old 07-14-03, 09:36 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cooling system

85 Dodge B150, 318 Service manual says drain the system and put in a can of radiator flush, run engine till top hose is hot, drain and refill.

Question is do I put water in with the radiator flush or just a can of radiator flush? Thanks

Old 07-14-03, 09:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I don't use radiator flush. If the coolant is changed every year, there's no need for it.

You can run the unit on water and constantly flush it out. When what you have coming out of the bottom is essentially clear water, it's clean.

If in doubt, have the radiator professionally cleaned/checked for leaks. Most places charge about $35 for it----well worth it.

Old 07-14-03, 10:00 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joe, thanks, I had the radiator recored and cleaned when I installed the used engine 2 years ago. I ran it until it was clear last time but I'm concerned that grease or oil and rust from the engine sitting around may have accumulated so I wanted to run something through it as per the book. Will this harm anything, like loosining rust or is this a non abrasive technique. I would rather do it myself.

Old 07-14-03, 10:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you have nothing dirty coming out the drain when you flush it, the cooling system is pretty clean.

The BEST way to flush a cooling system at home is to install a Prestone Flush and Fill kit into one of the heater hoses.

You can then use a garden hose to back flush the system and it will all come out through the radiator---if there is anything.

Any parts store will have it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: