Astro a/c problems

Old 07-14-03, 11:08 AM
ouhogfan
Visiting Guest
Astro a/c problems

The compressor on my 94 astro will not kick in. I can make it work by jumping across the leads so I know the compressor is ok. I had the charge on the system checked and its ok. I found the low pressure switch & jumped across it but no difference. I was told there is also a high pressure switch but couldn't locate it. Is this true and if so where can I find it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-03, 11:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Usually, it is located in one of the refrigerant lines...

Old 07-14-03, 12:21 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The high pressure cut-out switch (HPCOS) is located on the back of the a/c compressor. Check its connector...they're known to become dirty and/or loose. Replacement switches & pigtails are available at your local autoparts store.

BTW...The system must be recovered in order to replace the HPCOS. This means you have to take it to a qualified a/c shop. One of GM's better ideas.

Old 07-15-03, 07:47 PM
conscience4u2
Visiting Guest
Question

knuckles,
If the high pressure switch is on the back of the compressor, where is the low pressure switch ? Thanks. 4u2

Old 07-17-03, 10:09 AM
ouhogfan
Visiting Guest
Knuckles,

Thanks for your help. I located the switch and found that the connector was worn and loose on the plug. I got a new connector and pigtale from the parts store and now my a/c is cooling again for the cost of about $20 and a little time. Thanks again.

Old 07-17-03, 10:57 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for letting us know.