Turning indicator assembly in 1994 Grand Prix

Old 07-15-03, 07:48 AM
Jaay
Visiting Guest
Turning indicator assembly in 1994 Grand Prix

I have a 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix. Over the past few years I have noticed that the left hand turning indicator, when pulled down , wouldn`t work unless I also pulled it toward me at the same time. I could live with that , but now the right indicator AND the left don`t work no matter what I do. I have attempted to find a diagram of the inner workings of the system but have not been able to find one to this point. I guess the bottom line is, can I do this job? I am willing to try. Thanks for being there!
Jaay

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-03, 07:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The switch is likely wasted. Not DIY repair. Involves disarming the airbag system which is professional repair.

If done incorrectly, it could cost you your life in an accident.

Old 07-16-03, 05:00 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Not hard at all--I have done two airbag gm's--that switch always goes bad. I find them at bone yards on cars that already have the air bags ripped out. If you disconnect the battery, the airbag will not deploy, and the bag can be removed from the wheel (usually bolts on from behind), you will need to pull the wheel, then everything becomes accesible. One warning, junkyard parts are just that, and most likely the switch you pulled from the yard will be bad or short lived, maybe better to spend the $ and get one from GM.

Old 07-16-03, 06:55 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

The SRS (airbag) system has its own backup power supply and CAN deploy even with the battery disconnected. That's why it is necessary to follow the proper disarming procedure in the Manufacturer's Service Manual before servicing the airbag system or removing the bag to access other components.

Old 07-16-03, 07:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Correct. An airbag is technically a pyrotechnical device and can detonate without a battery hookup/charge.

The airbag can blow off even if the battery is finished in a car accident, that's why it has a backup power supply.

Old 07-17-03, 08:01 AM
Jaay
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys! Really appreciate the quick response...I ended up taking it to the dealer this morning and I will be into them for what is probably around $430.00 . Thats`what I get for being a DIY wanabe. I`ll try you all again if something arises that seems simpler.
Jaay

Old 07-17-03, 01:40 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Arrow

$430 seems a little steep.

There are two possible turn signal switches for your car. Once lists for about $70, the other for about $100.

The labor guide allows 1.4 hours for the job. Even if we assume a $100/hr. labor rate and the most expensive switch, that still only comes out to $240. Shop around...sounds like this dealer is trying to stick it to you.

Old 07-17-03, 04:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Assuming you're talking Canadian bucks, that might make up SOME of the difference.

However, after reading Knuckles post, I would tend to agree.