ac compressor

Old 07-15-03, 08:21 AM
barbino
Visiting Guest
Question ac compressor

I have a 94 Dodge Ram. We have had the ac evacuated and recharged twice. The last time they put a dye in to see where it was leaking. They think the compressor may be leaking. My question is, they said if it was the compressor, not only would it need to be replaced but they also said the evaporator should be replaced. Is this always the case, to replace both? As a little more background info, after they have charged it, it cools for about 3 or 4 days, (but I've never had to turn the fan off hi), then blows out hot air.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-03, 08:38 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Generally speaking, with a few notable exceptions, the evaporator is the most durable a/c component. It is NOT normally replaced unless it is damaged, clogged internally, or leaking.

Ask the shop to explain to you in detail why they think the evaporator needs to be replaced. If you're not happy with their answer, take your business elsewhere.

Old 07-15-03, 09:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree. Time to find a new shop in all honesty.

Old 07-15-03, 04:12 PM
Just out of curiousity, could they have said expansion valve that's attached to the evaporator? That'd make more sense... But it seems to me, on a leaking system, that does work when charged, the compressor, and dryer bottle is all that should be needed...

Old 07-15-03, 05:22 PM
Being a user of aftemarket parts, I know that most aftermarket as well as some OE's, require the receiver-dryer and filter, or orifice tube, if so equiped be replaced at the time the compressor is replaced to maintain their warranty.
Billy

Old 07-15-03, 05:43 PM
barbino
Visiting Guest
Update on ac

I just got back from the repair shop, here's what they are saying now. They can't find a leak anywhere, no dye is showing anywhere. They "think" the compressor is bad and want to replace that as well as the accumulator and the orifice tube. They said the air blowing out was 60 degrees. Why would it blow hot sometimes and sometimes cool? Could it be the compressor or could it be something else? Thanks for all your responses. I really appreciate it.

Old 07-15-03, 05:46 PM
Take it to a different shop. Plain and simple. "We Think" aint good diagnostics....... Dont let em just throw parts at your vehicle. You could have a restriction causing it to blow cool sometimes and hot somtimes. You have to have proper diagnosis to determine a problem.
Billy

Old 07-15-03, 05:48 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
It *could* be about 50 different things.

Get it to someone who knows what they're doing.

If your system is leaking, any decent shop will be able to find the leak.

The shop you've been dealing with clearly isn't well versed in a/c repair.

Old 07-15-03, 07:03 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Back to original post "They Think compressor may be leaking"?? Either it is or is not. Get to some one who knows something. Dont let them jerk you around by replacing what they "Think" is wrong.
On A/C, that can really get in your dinner bucket in short order.

Old 07-15-03, 09:32 PM
Visiting Guest
it REALLY *could* be about 50 different things!

i replaced a viscous fan clutch today on a dodge truck, for the a/c intermittently not working(not the first thing i looked for either)

if the a/c only cools for 3-4 days, then is low on freon that had dye in it----the freon/dye went somewhere! they haven't found it because they aren't looking in the right place! the compressor is either leaking or it isn't, no dye=no leaks, dye=leaks, it's that simple. it could be noisy or worn internally warranting a replacemant, but that doesn't leak 'out' freon. if they're using the ultraviolet light and the special (yellow)glasses, the dye has to be somewhere. if the leaks aren't obvious--it very well can be the evaporator. knuckles--the evaporator is the 'simplest' part of the a/c system, not the most durable, i've replaced quite a few--all leaking and all plastered with leaves or pine needles and a heavy coating of oil and dye.

if there is no dye coming out of the water drain tube, the evaporator still can be leaking, you/they must use process of elimination on all the other parts first. something with that big a leak should be blaringly obvious.

follow the last three post's advice and find another shop who will take the time to go over this system thoroughly

if the shop says we 'think' it might fix it, you say i 'think' i'm not going to pay if it doesn't

Old 07-15-03, 09:37 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Agree with all posters, time to find a new shop. This one is guessing.

Get it fixed correctly and bill the first shop for any subsequent repairs that had to be redone to correct the problem.

Old 07-16-03, 07:14 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
mike in nj:

Here's what I posted & I stand by it:

Generally speaking, with a few notable exceptions, the evaporator is the most durable a/c component.
Certain Chrysler & GM products had crappy evaporators with a high failure rate. For example, full size FWD GM cars (Olds 88/98, Buick Park Ave, etc) from the late '80s/early '90s, Beretta/Corsica through April '94, mid '90s LH cars, minivans & Jeeps.

Chrysler's evaporators were so crappy they extended the warranty on certain models to 7 years/80K miles.

Old 07-16-03, 08:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'd agree with Knuckles here. All of my GM cars have the original evaporator---and most of them are over 20 years old .

Old 07-16-03, 09:45 PM
Visiting Guest
all right, i guess those are the notable exceptions, leaving all else with a problem-free and 'durable' part. you wouldn't know it by looking at my scrap aluminum pile though. (mostly LH and minivan ones)like you said

Old 07-17-03, 06:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
True . Chrysler are the notable exception.

That's why I love my A6 compressor in my 79 Trans Am 400. It's rock solid, cools like a refrigerator and works well .

Long live the A6 "log" compressor .