Tension Pulley?

Old 07-16-03, 08:11 AM
VP47
Visiting Guest
Tension Pulley?

I have a 1990 Honda Accord 5 speed.

When the air conditioner is turned on and the car is not moving, there is a very shrill squeal. This only happens when the AC is on and I'm stopped. Once I start driving, the noise stops. Or, if I'm stopped, when I press the clutch in and rev it to about 1.5 rpm's it doesn't squeal.

Like I said, when the AC is not turned on there is no noise. From looking under the hood when the car is running and the AC is on and off, here's what I've noticed: once the AC is turned on, there is a pulley located underneath the alternator that wobbles pretty badly. When the AC is turned off, it stops wobbling. Since the AC is cooling fine no matter how bad the squeal is, I'm assuming this pulley is the culprit.

I'm guessing that's a tension pulley or idle pulley? I haven't had a chance to get underneath the car yet, but is it possible to tighten that or does it need to be replaced totally? If I were to take it to someone to be fixed, what should I expect to pay?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 08:52 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The bearing in the pulley is likely wasted---replacement required.

Change the belt at the same time you do the repair.

Price on the outside depends on the cost of the part and the shop's labor rate.

Old 07-16-03, 08:54 PM
VP47
Visiting Guest
Does the entire idler pulley need to be replaced or just the bearing?

Thanks.

Old 07-17-03, 12:43 AM
fatcatdj
Visiting Guest
JOE!!! I am surprised at you! This sounds like the man has to go to NAPA and buy a new belt and tighten as required.

Old 07-17-03, 05:07 AM
Sounds like if the poster is correct and the pulley is wobbling badly it needs replaced, along with the belt.

Old 07-17-03, 05:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Wobbling pulley=wasted. End of story.

I've yet to see a new belt "fix" a bad pulley in 15+ years of driving and working on cars.

Chances are it will cost more for the bearing to be pressed out than to buy a new OEM pulley---IF the bearing is even feasibly serviceable, and chances are it is not.

Belts are a maintenance item and should be changed every 4 years, no matter what the condition. My cars get belts and hoses every 4 years, it avoids breakdown this way.

Original poster: Have a look in autolibrary at the diagrams and R&R procedures for belts there and tell us which pulley you're referring to and we'll advise accordingly.

Old 07-20-03, 07:57 PM
VP47
Visiting Guest
It is the crankshaft pulley.

I took it to a place to have them fix it, and he tried to tell me I needed I need a new compressor for the air conditioner...which mine is obviously 13 years old and is on it's last days, so it probably is getting ready to go...but, that wasn't the problem. Besides, with 180,000 miles a repair like that would cost almost as much as the car is worth.

Anyway, I ended up getting under it and that pulley had basically come loose. I pulled it right off the smaller pulley it fits over. I set it back in as best I could and put the belts back on...squeaking stopped, AC works fine, everything is like it was before. New pulley and belts should fix it for good.

I should have taken the time to get under it myself in the first place. I just figured I could tell a mechanic what to do and he'd do it. I'm new in Memphis and still looking for a good mechanic...any Memphians out there with recommendations?

Thanks guys.

Old 07-21-03, 03:34 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Try the ASE website (www.asecert.org) or check with friends and relatives on good shops in the area. Check the Better Business Bureau for complaints on any you are considering.