Bonneville A/C blower

Old 07-16-03, 02:45 PM
Bonneville A/C blower

1997 Bonneville 3.8 NA. All bells and whistles, and a real annoying key/headlight chime.

Wife is complaining that her A/C is not blowing strong enough on high. Here in south Louisiana, a sweaty wife is an angry wife!

I've watched the vent door linkage operate, and it seems to be opening all the way, pulled the fan and it seems strong on all 4 speeds. Cowling and re-circ airways are clear. I don't know anyone with a Bonneville to compare it with. Scared to tell Sweetie (yet) that nothing's wrong. It actually does feel like the air is blowing maybe a little harder from the 2 passengers vents (glovebox) than the drivers 2 vents. Defrost and floor vents feel strong. The air is really cold so I don't think my cool/hot door is sticking. What I can see of the evaporator (from the fan hole) looks pretty clean.

Any ideas? Does anyone know where I can see a good breakdown on the ducting on this model. Also need dash removal info. Dealer says 2 weeks to get the OEM manual.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 03:01 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Any parts person at the dealer could let you look at the system duc-work. First thing that comes to my mind is perhaps a foam insulator/gasket may be out of place between duct and dash grill. or between connections.
Letting some air escape. Just an idea, because seems you have given it a pretty thorough check.

Old 07-16-03, 04:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Why are you ordering the OEM manual from the dealer ($$)? Buy direct from www.helminc.com or find a used one on Ebay.

Other than that, I agree with Darrell.

Old 07-17-03, 01:36 PM
Good Job Darrell!

Problem was 2 fold. Replaced the blower motor. It was turning good RPM's outside it's housing but was slowing down when loading up with air in the housing. Additionally I found a crack in the squirrel cage hub (don't know if that really made a difference). Also, the foam was almost completely gone from the vents around the drivers vents. Replaced that and blows equally well on both sides.

Joe, thanks for the Helm link. I had already checked e-bay and found nothing. Helm is about the same as dealer cost but they do show it in stock.

Sweetie's happy, I'm happy.
You guys did such a good job that I'm giving you the rest of the day off!

Old 07-17-03, 04:41 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good for you Dan.

Try these guys on a used manual:

"Dave's Books" on Ebay
Dan Klein at [email protected]
Dan Bower at [email protected]

All three are fair sellers and would work with you. Dan K is the guy you see at swapmeets across the country with a NJ accent, a ballcap and a cigar, as well as a E Series Ford van. LOL Helluva gentleman.

Search this Thread