'89 Olds v-6 MAF sensor

Old 07-16-03, 11:33 PM
'89 Olds v-6 MAF sensor

I believe I've narrowed the stumbling problem on my '89 Olds 88 (3.8l v-6, EFI, 350K miles) to the MAF sensor. In trying to locate a replacement part, it appears GM sells the electronics ONLY with the casting, and the price is pretty steep. In looking at online used parts houses, I found a wide variety of prices, from less than $20 to just under $100. I suspect some of these quotes are only for the electronics. My question is this: are the electronics calibrated to the particular casting they're originally mounted to, or should they be interchangeable? Bear in mind, I need to contact my local GM dealer in person to verify how the part is handled; they told me over the telephone that this car doesn't use a MAF sensor, or a MAP sensor for that matter (so how in the world is the ECU supposed to know how much fuel to deliver without a measuring device for the air? Their mistake, I believe.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Chris

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-03, 11:57 PM
fatcatdj
Visiting Guest
I'm not ASE qualified, nor a mechanic, but I have worked at Trak and Napa and owned a lousy GM 3.8 V6. The 3.8 I had was an 1981 and it had a Map sensor which I replaced and nothing drastic happened to regain performance.
But my friend's 90 Olds 3.8 fi pile of crap never had a map sensor come to think of it...

Old 07-17-03, 04:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, it has a MAF sensor. Yup, those are the prices. Yup, that's the "benefit" of this modern technology .

Get a GM sensor. You can save a little green by pricing the part through an AC Delco jobber. It will be the same thing for a bit less, depending on the source.

www.gmpartsdirect.com sells wholesale to the public but their shipping is a little high.

Fatcat: 1981 3.8s are carbureted MAP sensors. The 3.8's went to MAF on some applications in '84 (3.8 vin code 3 like in a Ciera).

Search this Thread