Coolant Fans Don't Work

Old 07-17-03, 12:44 PM
hardyhunter
Visiting Guest
Coolant Fans Don't Work

I'm seeking help with troubleshooting the coolant fans on my '97Plymouth Neon,2.0L,DOHC.
I have checked all the fuses in fuse panel-all ok. The engine gets hot while idleing at very short lengths of time, so I have to turn the heater on to dissipate heat from the motor, and roll the windows down to dissipate heat from me. Neither of the two cooling fans works at the radiator. Can you tell me what sensor activates the fans? I would suppose that to be the problem instead of both fans going bad at the same time. I went to the wiring diagram on the chilton link you provided in the Basics section, but it was so small and blurred that I couldn't read it-even with Windows magnifier. Thank you for any troubleshooting help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-03, 12:53 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Do the fans run when the a/c is on?

If so, then your cooling fan relay & fans are ok. If not, test the fan relay & fans.

Old 07-17-03, 01:08 PM
hardyhunter
Visiting Guest
cooling fans don't work

Thanks for the tip. The fans don't work while A/C is running.
You're talking to an amatuer here , so when you speak of checking the "relay", do you mean a sensor that is supposed to activate the fans? I see where the coolant temperature sensor is right next to the thermostat housing. Is that what I check? And the best way to check it is...........?
In order to check the fans, I can just connect an alligator clip/wire from one of the fan leads to the battery?
Sorry for the ignorance--wiring is NOT my thing-ha.
Thanks again.

Old 07-17-03, 01:12 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Click on the link below to view a diagram of the cooling fan circuit.

http://www.batauto.com/techs/97neon_cooling_fan_ckt.gif

The PCM provides a variable pulse-width ground to the Solid State Fan Relay. The relay uses this info to determine cooling fan speed. Low duty cycle (30%)=low fan speed. 100% duty cycle = high fan speed.

The PCM turns the fans on when coolant temp reaches 210F & turns the fans off when coolant temp drops to 199F.

The PCM will also turn the fans on when a/c high side pressure is greater than 285 PSI.

Old 07-17-03, 01:27 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Your car was recalled for a problem with the cooling fan relay.

Suggest you get to a Chrysler dealer & ask them about recall No. 7691. It should take care of the problem.

Old 07-17-03, 01:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Knuckles is correct. Get the recall completed at the dealer. Also get any other applicable recals done at the same time.

Let us know what you find as a result of that.

Old 07-17-03, 01:32 PM
hardyhunter
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks Knuckles for the help again-and if I can have it fixed by a dealer since it was recalled for the fan relay--that would take a load off my shoulders! Appreciate the info

Old 07-17-03, 01:39 PM
hardyhunter
Visiting Guest
Joe F.,

Thanks, pal for the info also.
I did find a lot of good info on the link you gave http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...elLookup.html, but one problem I did have there was that the wiring diagram I opened there -#5 for wiring diagram for cooling fans--was really worthless. Even when magnified, it was unreadable. But, like I said, there is a Lot of good info otherwise. Thanks again

Old 07-18-03, 12:50 AM
fatcatdj
Visiting Guest
OHHH BOOOYYY! this reminds me when I had a Honda Accord that
overheated as well. The darn fans operated intermittantly and when it felt like it , went on as I turned on the AC. It was the relay. Unfortunately, $400 later(price of Honda's plastic radiator--auto trans fluid uses it too) I changed it. Luckily I didn't blow the gasket.

Old 07-19-03, 10:38 AM
hardyhunter
Visiting Guest
I called the local Chrysler dealer about the recall.
The service/parts man said that, indeed, there was a recall on those '97 Neons. He said it applied to all those made in Tacoma, Washington, and that the 11th digit in the VIN number should be a "T" for Tacoma. Wouldn't you know it, but mine was a "D", so I didn't qualify.

I think I can replace the relay(seems like a unscrew-old-one, screw-new-one type of job) if that is indeed the problem. Do you guys think, by the symptoms I've given, that the relay is at fault?

I really appreciate your help-been bragging on this forum to my brother-in-law so he will join.

Old 07-19-03, 10:48 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The "T" indicates Toluca, not Tacoma, but that's not important.

You have 3 choices here. What you do depends on your confidence in your diagnostic/repair skills and the tools at your disposal.

1. Shoot from the hip & hope the relay is the problem. You might get lucky.

2. Buy the AlldataDIY subscription for $24.95. It has all the diagnostic info you need to repair this problem, as well as lots of other info you may find useful. Use this info to properly diagnose & repair the problem.

3. Take it to a good shop & pay them to fix it.

If you choose option 2, you'll need a digital volt/ohm meter and a jumper wire, as well as normal hand tools to R&R whatever part is bad.

Old 07-19-03, 03:24 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with Knuckles.