Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Tread seperation

Visiting Guest

07-17-03, 01:29 PM   #1  
Nate_Diy'er
Tread seperation

What are some of the possible symptoms of tread seperation.

Car 1996 Dodge Neon. Car has a very pronounced shimmy driving. Front right tire has a small leak. While driving can also hear a rubbing type noise from the front right tire. Inspected tire, and it appears fine, no signs of actual seperation.

I strongly believe it is tire seperation, but curious what you all think. Also is there any other possible causes for this.

I intend to go and replace the front two tires tomorrow anyways, as the one already has a leak.

Could the shimmy possibly be the tire lost a weight, and is no longer properly balanced?

Car does drive straight, so not an alignment issue.

Thanks
Nate

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-17-03, 01:30 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Swap the tires front to back. If the problem goes to the back, it's wheel and tire related.

As such, replace the defective tires.

Visiting Guest

07-17-03, 01:37 PM   #3  
Nate_Diy'er
Good idea Joe, I will definately try that. Barring that, any other possible causes? (I won't have access to the web over the weekend, so I would like to get as many ideas as what this could be, although I will definately troubleshoot one at a time, starting with the cheapest, and most likely cause)

WV

07-17-03, 03:44 PM   #4  
Nate,

Depending on where you go to get your tires, you can have them give your suspension a once over and see if anything needs attention. What you describe definately sounds like a tire related problem, but it could be other problems as well. Look under your car and see if anything looks like it has "sprung a grease leak" Not absolutely a sign, but could be a place worth investigating.
hope this helps,
Billy

Visiting Guest

07-18-03, 01:36 AM   #5  
fatcatdj
I agree with the threads. have the guys check your front end.
I am no ASC Certified mechanic, but I have worked at Trak, Napa
and a brake supply jobber. May be a right tie rod end. Also check tread
wear. Insist on Moog tie rod ends if the problem.

07-18-03, 10:13 AM   #6  
You can, in most cases, feel tread seperation by running your hand over the tire, tread and both sidewalls. If you feel a high spot where the tire is not absolutely smooth there is your tread seperation. Most any tire shop will look at your tires for free.

Search this Thread