86 Bronco needs Brake Rotor

Old 07-17-03, 04:00 PM
CluelessinMS
Visiting Guest
86 Bronco needs Brake Rotor

I need to replace the driver's side front brake rotor on a 1986 Ford Bronco. My main question involves the locking mechanism for the 4 wheel drive. What steps do I need to take to get the rotor off and replace it and not mess up the lock?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-03, 04:22 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have a look in autolibrary.org in my signature file below

Old 07-17-03, 05:33 PM
Is this a full sized bronco, or a Bronco II and does it have manual hubs or self locking?

If you're mechanically inclined, and pay attention closely as you take it apart, it's not really all that tough..I make sure I lay the pieces out exactly as I removed them, with everything laying "face down". Meaning if I take a washer off, the side of the washer that was facing me goes down. That way I know exactly which side of each piece goes on in the correct order, in the correct placement...

Old 07-18-03, 05:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Absolutely correct!

Old 07-18-03, 06:28 AM
CluelessinMS
Visiting Guest
Full size with manual locking hubs. I looked at joe's link and think i have a good idea of what to do. Now just to stretch the day out to 30 hours so I can get it done.

Old 07-18-03, 07:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Good for you and let us know.

Old 07-19-03, 07:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just to let you know, if you do decide to get a used rotor from a junkyard, check it for legal thickness before you buy it. Most yards are ethical, but I got porked that way once.

Old 07-19-03, 03:29 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Brakes are not something to gamble with. Spend the money and get NEW rotors, quality ones made in Canada or the US. Raybestos and Wagner make good replacement units.