Test Leads Needed For Old Engine Analyzer

Old 07-19-03, 10:32 AM
Question Test Leads Needed For Old Engine Analyzer

Does anyone have an idea where I may be able to find test leads that will fit an older 60's or 70's portable engine analyzer. I know it may be simply worth tossing but I figured I'd give it a shot anyway since I already have the thing but lost the leads. The tool is the typical thing that you would have bought in Sears or an auto parts store back in the day, and uses 1/4" male plugs to connect to the tool.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-03, 11:30 AM
bsafirebird1969
Visiting Guest
i have a lota old analyzers .... most use a molex plug thats very hard to find ........

Old 07-19-03, 11:49 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Stupid question, but if the unit was sold by Sears, have you tried there? Sears sells parts for some ancient stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if they could special-order the stuff you need.

BTW, I have a complete Sun 1011 scope I'll let go REAL cheap if you want it. It's complete & everything works. It won't do DIS, but I do have the HEI adapter for it.

Old 07-19-03, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, Knuckles. The unit isn't actually a Sears model, but I looked on their website anyway to see what they had and couldn't find anything.

Thanks for the offer on the Sun scope, but I'm not actually in the market to buy anything. I just remembered that I had the thing sitting in my garage and decided to try and look for the parts.

What is a Molex plug anyway ?? Is it similar to a 1/4" phone plug ?

Old 07-19-03, 03:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What brand is the analyzer?

Sears units are made by Actron. They still service most parts for Sears and their old units. Contact Greg Piddy or Chuck Grittner there. They helped me with my old Sears units----great people.

Molex plugs are square pin type plugs. Washing machines use them among other industries like appliances.

Old 07-19-03, 08:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Knuckles:

How much for the scope? . Drop me a line. I'm supposed to get one from a coworker, but I'm not sure he's found it yet. LOL .

Old 07-20-03, 09:12 AM
Hi Joe_F. The brand is "Instrument Design Inc." and it's a model 673. I did a basic search of the web and couldn't find anything as you would have imagined. I've been looking on eBay and compared to what these type of scopes have been selling for as well as some of the larger scopes, it may just be worth pitching although it's in really nice shape and I hate to throw things away. I bought the thing at an estate sale years ago along with a Penske timing light and compression tester. Both of those items are MIA as well.

Old 07-20-03, 01:04 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sears used to sell Penske stuff through their auto dept. in the 1970's. I know their recent stuff is Actron.

About a year ago, I found a Sears analyzer thrown out in the trash. I stopped and picked it up---to my amazement it was in great shape, had ALL of the cables and even the owner's manual. It even works!

People toss some great stuff---I just picked up a working ShopVac with all accessories that someone pitched. Cleaned the filter and the unit, plugged it in, works great!

I did some research and found out that it was an Actron made unit. I contacted them and they were very helpful, including sending me an electrical schematic of the unit and sending me one of the small parts that was missing at no charge.

Check with Actron, they may know who it is.