Transmssion

Old 07-20-03, 08:37 AM
magicmanfirst
Visiting Guest
Angry Transmssion

I have a 1994 G20 chevy van 5.7 liter with a 4speed electronic transmission, I think it is a 4L80E. My problem is a coolant line started leaking, I cut the line, installed a rubber hose to fix it, and ever since, it will not shift int 3rd or 4th gear....reverse, first and second are fine....any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-03, 01:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How's the condition of the fluid? When was the last time it was changed? Is it full now?

Old 07-20-03, 02:08 PM
Visiting Guest
isn't that the 700r4 trans, i think one of the clutches inside is for 3rd and 4th.

what i've seen happen, and is pretty common on most transmissions, when you have a cooler leak, you usually don't know it until it's too late, your first sign is that it's slipping, because all the fluid has leaked out. this partially applies that clutch pack and it burns up in a matter of minutes, i replaced a 4L30e this week for that very problem, the 4th gear external accumulator started leaking at highway speed and the rest is history.

unless someone steps up here with a quick easy way to diagnose this problem, my (over the internet) guess is that you unknowingly did the same thing, sorry.

Old 07-20-03, 05:17 PM
magicmanfirst
Visiting Guest
More info

Noticed leak in line at oil change a week ago...there was no problem until I repaired leak. fluid is new and full..level was good before repair.

Old 07-20-03, 05:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The tranny may have wiped out due to the fact that it got overheated---the tranny line that broke to the radiator runs to the tranny cooler inside the radiator.

It may have overheated the tranny and now you have slippage

How many miles?

Old 07-20-03, 06:38 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Is it possible that the hose repair collapsed? How long was the pc of hose that was used.

Old 07-20-03, 08:13 PM
magicmanfirst
Visiting Guest
the van has 145000 miles......the break was only a pin-hole, barely dripping fluid out. it was not run completely dry at any time..I believe the trans. has been replaced once already.

the hose repair is fine, no collapse. I used a piece of pressure hose 7"long

Old 07-20-03, 11:05 PM
Visiting Guest
once, a very long time ago, i didn't know any better and mistakenly put the wrong fluid in my father's oldsmobile fwd at 99,000 miles, within a day or two it wasn't shifting out of first, or maybe second(selective memory), luckily he had a 100,000 mile extended warranty.

does it just not upshift, or does it go into neutral at that speed?

stupid question----are you checking it in the right gear, warmed up, vehicle level?

sometimes when you change fluid that was in there for many miles(lots!) the new fluid has such strong detergents, it breaks loose all the gunk that was solidified in all the nooks and crannies and the shift valves are the new resting place for that gunk, i've seen that a few times before.

if it is a true 4L80e, the shifts are completely computer controlled(i know the 4L30e is) and anyone with a scan tool would be able to read codes and see if it is just a bad shift solenoid, it's cheaper than a new trans.

Old 07-21-03, 12:17 PM
magicmanfirst
Visiting Guest
It goes into neutral...the engine just races...if I rev engine u, it goes back into a gear, but I am not sure which one....but I can cruise along at 60...65 mph.

Old 07-21-03, 12:43 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like internal failure .

Have it checked by a tranny shop. They can do a line pressure check.

Search this Thread