83 Dodge Truck

Old 07-20-03, 03:03 PM
bowlingpro250
Visiting Guest
83 Dodge Truck

Hey guys its me again .Do you know of any problems with the 1983 Dodge Ram 1/2ton truck? This truck gave me the 2nd best ride in a truck of all time! Do you know if these have any problems passing smog tests? I cant help thinking that the late 70's 80's Dodge trucks are for....Shall I say...Older'ish people LOL...Iam 18 and I dont want to be in "grandpa's" truck unless it is his truck. LOL But realy I dont know much about Dodge trucks. Can I play with the engin/body,ie. crome, proformance parts, after market parts,ect.? I guess I should give you what I know about the truck. It has Ps,Pb,am radio(must change),I dont know what size of the engin is,At,very stock,new parts. Very well maitaned by older guy. I beleave it haves around 120,000 miles on it. No rust. It has a canopy. In the bed you see way more paint than metal.It does have some problems.... It needs a tune up,gas gage doesent work, the seat needs a cover badly( I just might get it re-done ) needs a new windsheld,tabs, and Iam sure small stuff. Now is this type of a truck a good truck for a new driver ie safe,dependable? Thank you very much Matt P.s. If you have any questions email me or IM me because I cant reply to questions here because were it would say "Post Reply" it says "No Replys Allowed In This Forum". Thank you again for your help Just trying to find a good first truck. Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-03, 06:06 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Depending on the price and condition it might make a good project truck.

Most trucks of this vintage suffer from rust damage, so again have it checked out by a mechanic before buying.

Advantages: Chrysler's powertrains are good. The 225 slant 6 is piss slow but runs forever. The 318 and 360 engines are strong engines and plenty of performance parts are out there for them.

Disadvantages: Chrysler's carburetor sources back then (Holley and Carter) are bottom barrel leakers and stallers. It will take a rebuild and some competent hands to get them running well, and it will still be second seat to a good Q-jet equipped GM .

For the doubting Thomases out there, from 1985 to 1989 when most carburetion ended on Chrysler trucks, Chrysler purchased the Q-jet from Rochester as their 4 barrel for their trucks. Yep, a Q-jet as FACTORY equipment on a Chrysler .

Post back with more details about the price and what the inspection details from the repair shop found and we'll go from there.

Old 07-20-03, 07:52 PM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
Re: 83 Dodge Truck

I changed my name....................Matt
One thing I forgot to say is that it has a V8 in it and my dad thinks its the 360. It has NO body rust on it ,No dents. The only body problem is that it has a small bar missing on the grill on the drivers side. It comes with new rear leaf springs. He is selling if for get this $1,200.00 OBO The brakes are real good. It is a one family truck. Two owners. The father gave this truck to his daughter for a weding gift ( I think that was the story ) because this was the truck that she drove during highschool in the early 80's. The dad wrote down all of the parts for a tuneup on the inside fenders so he could get the same parts every time. It doesent leak oil. I do remember the owner saying that it does a have a carburator problem. That might be why it is rough at low rpms. The horn doesent work. New battery and cables and many other stuff that I cant remember right now. The good thing about the Dodge over the 72 Ford F100 is that it's $250 less and more money to play with. I am warming up to Dodge. Iv always seen my self driveing a Ford or Chevey more than Dodge but I am likeing it. It is a very solid truck.It sat so high I felt like I was siting 7 feet of the ground. But its reagular hight. I wish I had some pics so I could show you how nice this truck realy looks. Anyway I have about a week befor I can make any moves towards buying a truck since I had some problems cashing a CD that my grandma left for me. And I have to wait for my grandpa to come back from a trip.So anyway I hope that helps any Matt

Last edited by bowlingpro2501; 07-21-03 at 01:06 AM.
Old 07-21-03, 03:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Make him an offer of 800 or 900 bucks, see if he grabs it. Go with the cash in hand ready to make a deal. Use the money you "save" for repairs and the like.

Have it checked out professionally before you buy it!

Old 07-21-03, 09:28 AM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
Make him an offer of 800 or 900 bucks, see if he grabs it. Go with the cash in hand ready to make a deal. Use the money you "save" for repairs and the like.

Have it checked out professionally before you buy it!
Thank you Joe. I think I might buy that truck if its still there when everything is cleared up on my end. Now I was woundering if it would be best to just replace the carburator with an aftermarket part? Please tell me about the Q-jet? Is that Fule Injected? Can that be put on that truck? The one thing the owner has to do is make sure it passes smog befor I can buy it( its a washington state law now that the owner has to show that it passes the test ). Anyway I just hope god wants me to have this truck by the time everythig is cleared up. So thank you again Matt

Old 07-21-03, 10:06 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Q-jet or Rochester Quadrajet is the name given to 4 barrel carburetors of later vintage that the Rochester division of Delco/GM produced.

Chrysler used this carburetor on their 1985 to 1989 318 and 360 engines. It has, overall the best drivability, fuel economy and performance of any carburetor out there, bar none. Most people frown on them due to ignorance, nothing else .

You're kinda stuck with the Carter that this 360 likely has. Carter and Holley were both OEM suppliers to Chrysler for their carburetion back then, depending on the model and emission package.

Both Holley and Carter carburetors are notorious stallers, leakers and fuel wasters. A Rochester Q-jet fares well over all of these due to the small primary bore size--that is why they are more efficient than these other brands.

Carter and Holley: They can be made to run well, but it takes good hands and knowledge of how they work. You can get replacement carburetors from the likes of Edelbrock and others.

Many of these carburetors are knockoffs of the Q-jet or AFB design and frankly are a waste of money. A stock engine really won't benefit much from one of these high dollar carburetors.

Again, Chryslers fuel and ignition controls are bottom barrel compared to Ford and GM systems. Chryslers and stalling in the rain go hand in hand . A Chrysler truck will run and run, but it will be crude. Just the way it was.

If you like the truck, go for it, but again, have it checked out professionally first to make sure it's sound. The seller sounds like a square guy, but make sure by being on the up and up and having it checked out.

If it were me buying a truck, a GMC or a Chevy would be my only choices. I just like to buy from the world's #1 car maker. Must be doing something right. LOL

Old 07-21-03, 10:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey Joe...Have you seen the rochester carbs that chrysler used? The center body of the carb is made of bakalite or something like that, and wears out to the point of uselessness. (mainly where the metering rods make contact). I never saw these on anything other than chrysler products.

Old 07-22-03, 03:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cheese:

You mean a ThermoQuad. That's a Carter carburetor, not a Rochester .

That was used through the mid 80's. Junk. The idea was novel though---that the phenolic bowl would keep the fuel cool. Too bad they cracked as you said .

Old 07-22-03, 12:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yep...carter thermoquad...been a long time, and I was thinking rochester made it, but you jogged my memory.

Search this Thread