Door Ajar System

Old 07-20-03, 03:18 PM
GOFERXVIII
Visiting Guest
Door Ajar System

I HAVE BEEN HAVING A PROBLEM FOR ABOUT A YEAR NOW,WHEN FOR NO REASON THE ABOVE MENTIONED GOES ASKEW.I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING FROM SLAMMING DOORS TO CLEANING CONTACTS AND IT STILL DOES'NT HELP.THE VEHICLE IS A 99 DODGE CARAVAN.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-03, 05:59 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Kill the caps, please, no need to shout.

You likely have a bad pin switch at one of the door positions.

Old 07-20-03, 06:40 PM
The last couple of times I've run into this, the "culprit" was the sliding door on the passanger side. The "striker" was worn, and had to be replaced and adjusted. (striker meaning the "peg" that sticks out for the door latch to catch on.)
The door on these van's would shut tight, but not quite tight enough to make good solid contact for the switch to turn off the light.

Old 07-20-03, 10:19 PM
Visiting Guest
and you can very easily check that by one of two ways.

close all the doors and make sure dome light is off, take a screwdriver and very gently try to pry the rear of the sliding door open, sometimes i just use a pen or mini-pocket screwdriver, you just want to move the door a hair out, very gently---no paint scratching. watch the dome light and you will see which door has the bad switch.

2nd, and to verify that, pop out the door ajar switch with a small screwdriver, unplug it, then double it up and tape it(like a loop) so it won't fall into the body, and drive for a few days, the problem should be fixed.

about msargents comment about the striker wearing out, i haven't seen that one yet, on this style van, not saying it doesn't happen, there is a lot of stuff i don't see, this might be one of them, (i'll pay more attention) usually what i see is crappy body work and the door not even close to being lined up, causing this problem.

if it is a sliding door switch, you will need a new one. they say that they can only be adjusted once, then they won't hold adjustment anymore. simply put in the new switch and gently close the door, instant self-adjustment.

in rare occasions, i've seen the rear hatch latch screws all loose, letting the latch mechanism slide around and not close properly, that's where the contact for the light is(inside the latch)---usually caused by the same body shop!

Search this Thread