Anyone own a Chevy Venture?

Old 07-20-03, 06:41 PM
Anyone own a Chevy Venture?

Hello All, looking at possibly purchasing a 99' Chevy Venture minivan. It has a 3.4L engine and has alot of bells and whistles. I haven't seen alot of posts on this forum as to known problems but then again maybe they haven't been out too long?

All I know is after the Dodge Caravan I think I'm ready to try a different manufacturer. Maybe GM has something more to offer?

I know that Ford and its Windstar are trouble from the gitgo because of what I've read on this forum.

Thanx for your anticipated input.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-03, 07:07 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not too bad. Both of my neighbors on either side of me have them and like them. Both have kids, gear and lots of stuff to transport so they get a real workout.

My neighbor's 2000 model has what sounds to me like a knock, but the other guy with the 1998 has a quiet running engine.

I'd say just as good as anything else out there.

Old 07-21-03, 05:16 PM
Thanx Joe. From what I've read this van is built on the same platform as the Olds Silouhette, Pontiac Montana, etc. Consumer Reports didn't give it a real good rating, which kind of bothers me a little. If I had my choice I'd go with a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna. But the prices are up there.

Really, I guess you take a chance anytime you buy a used car. Once that 30 days / 1000 miles is up, you're pretty much on your own.

Old 07-21-03, 05:20 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I might use Consumer Reports to compare Whirlpool versus Maytag, but not Chevy versus Ford.

CR has always been lackluster (and often wrong) on their car reviews. I've even seen them give two items made by the same company world's apart. (e.g. Whirlpool washer versus Kenmore. The former makes the latter, so you'd expect the repair histories to be similar).

I certainly wouldn't use them as a yardstick, no less a straight edge. Go to epinions.com or a site that measures OWNER feedback to see what actual owners have to say.

Best bet.