Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Smog Pump Going Bad?

Visiting Guest

07-20-03, 07:13 PM   #1  
SimK68
Smog Pump Going Bad?

Hey Joe, sorry I didnt get a chance to get back with you on this.....

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=135874

I pretty much got that taken care of. And now YES, andother problem like I said would happen, and this time, it also has to do with emmisions.

Ok my 81 olds delta 88 5.0 aka 307cid ... When you are driving down the road, it acts like the aircondtioner compressor keeps kickin on and off(which its not hooked up). It like 'boggs' down' and does it in a intermittant fashion. Not like a steady flutter. And it gets poor gas milage when it does this. Sometimes it wont do it. It 1st started doing this when it was cold, and would idel very rough, and then after 2 minutes after you start it, it would suddenly 'REV' up to normal smooth idle. But when it quit that, it started this when im driving down the road. And its not the choke beacuse its not electric. It has to be some kind of mixture control that regulates the air from fuel.

But when I stop and let it idel somtimes, it will idel again like there is a load on it, like the AC is going, and one time when I got out to check it, I could hear a like gargling whineing sound coming from the smog pump area.... So... Smog pump is toast? Or anything around it, because there are ALOT of hook ups,hoses and modulators around it.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-20-03, 07:21 PM   #2  
Joe_F
You could very well have a bad smog pump, however, I've yet to have one go bad on any of my GM cars .

Disconnect the belt for now (not for a lengthy period of time) and drive it without it. If it's ok, you have a wasted pump more than likely.

If you drive for a long time without the pump, the converter will get overheated. The smog pump feeds the cat a fresher cool air supply.

Make sure all of the AIR system (valves, hoses, etc) are in working order and that there are no leaks in anything. Most of the time, you'll wind up throwing half of it out in favor of new parts as Olds 307s have a myriad of vacuum lines as you are seeing .

You could purchase a reman smog pump through any parts store, A-1 Cardone brand is one well known maker, or try a junkyard smog pump from anything that interchanges with this machine.

If you find any in the yard painted blue, that means that it has been change with a rebuilt. You'll likely get a "new" one for a very cheap price .

Don't take any off of cars where the belt looks like it's been off for a while, it's probably either seized or noisy .

Visiting Guest

07-20-03, 07:36 PM   #3  
SimK68
Originally posted by Joe_F
You could very well have a bad smog pump, however, I've yet to have one go bad on any of my GM cars .

Disconnect the belt for now (not for a lengthy period of time) and drive it without it. If it's ok, you have a wasted pump more than likely.

If you drive for a long time without the pump, the converter will get overheated. The smog pump feeds the cat a fresher cool air supply.

Make sure all of the AIR system (valves, hoses, etc) are in working order and that there are no leaks in anything. Most of the time, you'll wind up throwing half of it out in favor of new parts as Olds 307s have a myriad of vacuum lines as you are seeing .

You could purchase a reman smog pump through any parts store, A-1 Cardone brand is one well known maker, or try a junkyard smog pump from anything that interchanges with this machine.

If you find any in the yard painted blue, that means that it has been change with a rebuilt. You'll likely get a "new" one for a very cheap price .

Don't take any off of cars where the belt looks like it's been off for a while, it's probably either seized or noisy .

Ok, cool. That hose, or line that goes from the circulation lines to YES the converter is mangled from when they took the old motor out and replace it, and is ripped a slit on the bottom to where I had to put exhaust tape on it.

Ok, ill try that. thanks.

Visiting Guest

07-20-03, 07:54 PM   #4  
SimK68
Ok, one more thing. There are like two electrical hook ups going to it. One goes to the pump itself, and the other is on a modual where the big hoses from the pump go to. Do you think one of thoes might be bad? Are thoes sensors? Because I have some on the carb, and as I said, the 'CHECK ENGINE' light is not hooked up. It has no bulb out let going to it.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-20-03, 10:47 PM   #5  
if you have small wires going into your carb, you might have a mixture control solenoid(i don't even remember if that's what it's called, it's been so long) that will vary the fuel going into the engine, usually has some sort of module controlling it too. i've seen other cars run horrible with one of these gone bad. i don't even know what direction to point you, except a service manual for that problem. this is probably why your check engine light was disconnected too. if it was my car, i'd be scrounging scrapyards for a non-electronic carb off the same size engine and start from there.

the air pump is in NO WAY causing your problem, the one on my truck was seized six years ago when i bought it and it's still seized, and the cat hasn't overheated. the extra air it feeds into the cat is to burn off more hydrocarbons, like a second burning, if anything it adds more heat to the cat. i've seen cats before with the air injection pipe in the middle and only the second half was glowing, the front half wasn't.

Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 12:08 AM   #6  
SimK68
Originally posted by mike in nj
if you have small wires going into your carb, you might have a mixture control solenoid(i don't even remember if that's what it's called, it's been so long) that will vary the fuel going into the engine, usually has some sort of module controlling it too. i've seen other cars run horrible with one of these gone bad. i don't even know what direction to point you, except a service manual for that problem. this is probably why your check engine light was disconnected too. if it was my car, i'd be scrounging scrapyards for a non-electronic carb off the same size engine and start from there.

the air pump is in NO WAY causing your problem, the one on my truck was seized six years ago when i bought it and it's still seized, and the cat hasn't overheated. the extra air it feeds into the cat is to burn off more hydrocarbons, like a second burning, if anything it adds more heat to the cat. i've seen cats before with the air injection pipe in the middle and only the second half was glowing, the front half wasn't.

Well I have to have the proper required parts, because I live in Houston ,and to pass inspection my emmsions has to be 100%.

It HAS to be somg pump/ emmmsions related. Because it makes a funny noise when it idles as well it idles rough.

Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 03:15 AM   #7  
Joe_F
Lol. A glowing cat is not a good thing .

On the 307, your emissions will go through the roof with the AIR system in poor order. I saw it on my own car one year with a hole in the converter pipe AIR supply pipe.

I had fixed the pipe and the next year the NOx went WAY down. Not to mention the car ran better. I fly through the dyno inspection every year on the first run here in NYS. .

DO NOT put a non computer controlled carburetor on here, you'll gain nothing. The more effort you waste to defeat the controls is more effort to redo them later on .

Have you tried to disconnect the belt to see if it sounds better?

A GM E4MC carburetor like this has a TPS and M/C solenoid in the carburetor, so you could be talking about either.

My advice to you:

1) Give the vehicle a good tuneup.
2) Replace all the vacuum lines if they have not been done in a while. Take your time, do one at a time!
3) Check the AIR system. Any rotted or leaking parts, pitch for new ones. Pay particular attention to the check valves and tubes. Fixing things here can also make your fuel mileage go up.
4) Is the check engine light disconnected? Replace the bulb, get it working and extract the codes and tell us what you find.
5) Temporarily disconnect the belt and see if the noises go away.

Let's go from there. I do agree---pick up a GM service manual. PLENTY of good reading there .

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 07:40 PM   #8  
most old 'smog' pumps i see sound like airplane propellers, especially the ones on 5.0L mustangs

if you want to replace it, go ahead, it was only my opinion, just don't be dissappointed when it doesn't fix the rough idle.

in new jersey the car has to be 100% emissions compliant too, meaning everything has to be there. how they check that at the state lanes is beyond me, they don't even open the hood and wouldn't know what to look for if they did.

my guess is it's inside the carb, mc solenoid or the tps

Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 03:50 AM   #9  
Joe_F
I think there's multiple problems here .

Rough running engine AND noisy smog pump .

Search this Thread