Transmission noise

Old 07-21-03, 06:24 AM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Transmission noise

Hi, everybody,

I have a 1995 Honda Accord V6 with auto trans. It only has 111,000 KM (60,000 miles). Can somebody tell me how to distinguish between the noise from the front wheel bearings and the transmission, or even the tires.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-03, 06:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Rotate the tires front to back. See if that solves the problem.

Wheel bearings hum/whine when they go bad.

Need more description of the noise, symptom/problem to help.

Old 07-21-03, 07:04 AM
Peter Poon
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Joe, for the fast reply.

I had rotated the tires front to rear. I actually have a set of winter tires on steel rims. Both sets make the same noise with some addition tread noise from the winter tires.

The noise is kind of a whine and not a constant hum. The whinning noise is not just contant whine with one high pitch and one low pitch, it sounds more like a blown tire with some "flapping" noise in between. It disappears around 70 MPH or higher. It dosen't change in pitch or frequency. The transmission shifts normally. The tires are inflated properly, 32 p.s.i. at the front and 30 p.s.i. at the rear. There are only 2 people in the car 99.99 percent of the time. Transmission fluid looks clean and at the proper level. The guy at the shop couldn't hear it because at the time it was rainning. I could hear it. Once again, it has been 2 years since I first hear the noise and the car is still running well.

Any suggestion what it might be?

Thanks.

Old 07-21-03, 07:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have them check the wheel bearings. Usually there will be movement in the hub if the bearing is bad.