All my coolants leaking out, hissing noise when Engine is running

Old 07-21-03, 10:36 AM
Spursfan
Visiting Guest
All my coolants leaking out, hissing noise when Engine is running

I have a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird LE 2.0L. Lately, I have been refilling coolant after every drive. When I stop, it all leaks out, and there's a hissing sound when the engine is on. The temperature gauge still gives me normal readings but I guess that's because I refill often. I checked under the car after an overnight park and realize that the leak emanates from the left front side, a bit behind the radiator. Can you please help me identify the problem area and possibly fix it? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-03, 11:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When's the last time the cooling system saw any service such as new radiator hoses and clamps? You could have a leaky radiator.

Any shop can do a cooling system pressure test on this and advise you of the leak and the needed repairs. Shouldn't be hard to do in most cases.

Old 07-21-03, 11:43 AM
Spursfan
Visiting Guest
actually..just replaced the hose and clamps

Thanks again Joe
The radiator hose had a leak and I replaced that along with new clamps. The problem began a few days after I installed the new hose. First, I noticed coolant leaking from the pressure cap and after I tightened the cap to its recommended orientation(with the arrows aligned to the hose)...the leak moved to some other place that I have yet to identify. I'll try the cooling system pressure check that you recommended. See if this new info will add something to what you said.

Old 07-21-03, 11:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Throw the cap out and get a new one, it sounds shot. A couple of bucks and cheap insurance.

Try that and let's go from there.