Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wanna change my brake pads, tips out there?

Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 10:55 AM   #1  
Spursfan
Wanna change my brake pads, tips out there?

I'm planning to change the brake pads on my Pontiac Sunbird 1990 LE. I wanna know if there are any special tools involved. I know it is not a very major job so I wanna try it myself. Any recommendations on what brake pads to get for this model of car...are there drum brakes on this model? Please give me tips and instructions.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 11:00 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Disc in the front, drum in the rear. Raybestos "PG" (Professional Grade) brakes are fine for this vehicle.

Autolibrary.org in my signature file below should have the brake pad R&R procedure.

Shouldn't take more than 2 hours tops for a novice. Might want to replace the rotors while you are in there. Make sure to get good quality US or Canadian made replacements, the offshore stuff is junk.

Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 11:11 AM   #3  
Spursfan
what are the rotor, Joe?

Thanks for that quick response. What are the rotors you are refering to when you say I could replace them when changing the pads? Please elaborate..I am a bit of a novice!

Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 11:22 AM   #4  
Joe_F
The rotors are the discs that rotate and the brake pads contact them to stop the vehicle.

Again, have a look at autolibrary.org in my signature file below. Study the text and photos there to see if it's something you want to tackle. If not, leave it to a professional---brakes are not something to gamble with.

Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 12:13 PM   #5  
Spursfan
oh...you mean brake discs

Sorry..I am schooled a lot more in the british ways and what you are calling a rotor, we call brake disc!! Got it now!

Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 12:22 PM   #6  
knuckles
Below is a link to a 'how-to' type article with lots of photos. I hope you find it useful.

http://www.batauto.com/articles/frntbrks.shtml

Search this Thread