Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electric fuel pump

Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 12:30 PM   #1  
butt-butt
Electric fuel pump

I have a 1991 Explorer.with a 4.0 engine.. and 4 wheel drive, automatic overdrive. My problem is my fuel pump will not shut off when I turn the motor off, have to pull main fuse for fuel pump to stop running. Have run code.. Getting codes 87, 95 and 96. Have replaced relay and still doesn't solve the problem. My manuel for that year does not say anything about what to do if the fuel pump continues to runs when you shut the engine off... Does anyone have any suggestions to help me solve this problem.

Thank you
Ed

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 12:43 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Are you sure you pulled the right relay out? Could also have a wire stuck that's keeping it energized.

I would pick up a good wiring diagram of the circuit and check everything carefully. A shot in the dark without a diagram, frankly.

Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 01:21 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
sure sounds like a bad ECC relay

Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 04:42 PM   #4  
butt-butt
I found the ciruit wiring in the book I have for that year.. and I replaced the right relay... The relay is located right under the power distribution box. On the 1991 model it is the first relay located in the tray under the main box and the relay is facing the fire wall and it is desgin to go in one way and it is totally different from the other two relays.
Thank you for your help

Visiting Guest

07-21-03, 05:03 PM   #5  
knuckles
Try this:

KEY OFF

Remove the fuel pump relay.

Check for ground at the Tan/Light Green wire in the EEC-IV self test connector.

If you have ground on the T/LG wire, remove the EEC Power relay & recheck. STILL have ground? Remove the 60 pin connector from the EEC Processor. Recheck for ground. If ground is still present, Tan/LG wire is shorted to ground.

If ground goes away when a component is disconnected, suspect that component.

Visiting Guest

07-23-03, 11:17 AM   #6  
butt-butt
Ive done all that you told me to do.. And now only code 95 comes up on my tester... The car ran and then after I turned off the car, the fuel pump still ran but afew mouments later it shut off... Is there any thing else I can do before I take it somewhere.. Im buffled with this

Thanks

Visiting Guest

07-23-03, 04:14 PM   #7  
darrell McCoy
For Joe:
I dont remember on this one, but does the fuel pump run off the oil pressure sender after engine has started or does it have the inertia type swx? Reason being I have a 4.3 in a GMC and when you shut key off, fuel pump will still sing for a couple seconds. It always did do this.

Visiting Guest

07-23-03, 05:52 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Darrell:

Not on this vehicle. GM yes, Ford, no to my knowledge.

Ford uses a "dummy sender" on these. The dash gauge is a glorified light! LOL. It doesn't read actual oil pressure like a GM vehicle.

Another quality is job 21 feature. LOL. Why bother with a gauge?

Search this Thread