97 Dakota squeaky clutch

Old 07-21-03, 02:18 PM
avocadoisle
Visiting Guest
97 Dakota squeaky clutch

Hi all,

I have a '97 dakota sport extened cab with a 5.2L V8 and manual tranny, 36K miles. Everything is working fine but the clutch squeaks whenever the pedal is depressed or let out. The problem is worse after the truck is run for a while and warms up. I can also feel the friction when pressing the pedal in.

Is there any way to lubricate the linkage (or cable, whatever?) to correct this. If so, where to do this and what type of lubricant should be applied?

Thanks,

David

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-03, 03:05 PM
Sounds like your throw-out bearing is making noise. We always replaced them on the old GM's which required pulling the transmission. Maybe a Mopar mechanic here onthe forum can give you advice on whether lube will help.

Old 07-21-03, 06:55 PM
avocadoisle
Visiting Guest
Thanks Dan,

Any other views on this? I'm hoping it's an issue related to lubrication as the clutch seems to work just fine.

Old 07-21-03, 09:32 PM
Visiting Guest
what you need to do is isolate the noise, is it coming from under the dash, or is it coming from inside the trans. those are your only two moving parts, it's all hydraulic.

you could have a dry pedal bushing, a little grease should fix that.

you could also have a dry bearing inside the bellhousing in two ways. one, the bearing could be dry when it slides back and forth on the front retainer, or the bearing itself could be bad and giving you the 'friction' feeling. either way, the trans has to come out to fix that, if it's 2wd, it comes out real easy. 4x4 complicates things a little, but that is usually what causes the problem in the first place, when the bearing goes under water when offroading.

let us know what you find

Old 07-22-03, 05:40 AM
avocadoisle
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike,

It's a 2WD and the noise is loudest outside the vehicle and sounds like it's coming from the driver side, not necessarily the tranny.

Where is the pedal bushing located? Under the dash or under the hood? I'd like to try the simple solution first before having the transmission dropped. What type of grease should be used to lubricate the bushing?

Thanks,

David

Old 07-22-03, 05:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I BELIEVE Lubriplate might work, but a dealer's parts counter can tell you over the phone or call over to the service desk and ask.

Old 07-22-03, 08:17 PM
Visiting Guest
the pedal bushings are under the dash, pretty high up too, and slopping grease on it usually won't fix it, taking the pedal out will.

but you said the noise was outside the truck so that probably wouldn't help

stick shift dakotas make up about 1% of the total dakotas we see, so i'm a little fuzzy here, i believe your year truck still had the external slave cylinder mounted outside the trans(on the driver's side). if you were so motivated you could take that out (two 13mm nuts) and lube the end of the pushrod and the part it rides on inside the trans, this will cut your potential noisy things down by 1/3, as there is also a pivot and the t/o bearing inside the trans. play the odds, it beats taking the whole trans out for a noise.

if you were to call my parts dept, you would definitely get the wrong answer, they have NF clue. lubriplate, wheel bearing grease or ball joint grease, it all works for me, whichever is closest at the time.

Old 07-23-03, 05:19 AM
avocadoisle
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe & Mike,

I'll put it up on ramps this weekend and take a look. Hopefully the transmission won't need to be dropped as I'll be forced to take it in for service if that's the case.