Starting & Stalling Problems

Old 07-21-03, 03:51 PM
Paprincess
Visiting Guest
Unhappy My Car won't start in the Rain and When it does and I hit a puddle it stalls .

Hi again everyone. Yet another problem with my 1988 Ford Crown Victoria LTD 4 door, V-8, 302. Ok, Let me try to explain my problem. It got me to work fine today, but while I was in work it rained. I came out on my Lunch to start it and it started so I went to pick up some food, got back in the car it ran fine until I got to and intersection and sat for like 2 minutes, It stalled out. After about 5 minutes I got it started again but as I pulled into work it stalled out again. I tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. Now for months everytime it rained it wouldn't start but I just thought the car was tempermental, If it did start it would buck something awful. Did I maybe overlook something that needs to be taken care of any help would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-03, 04:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If it typically runs poorly or misses in the rain, I'd lean toward a crack in the distributor cap or bad ignition wires.

When's the last time it was tuned up?

Old 07-21-03, 05:17 PM
Paprincess
Visiting Guest
I bought it in March and it was tuned up right after I bought it. I took in last month and told the mechanic at the shop he told me it was the alternator he changed it and charged me 180.00. I called him he told me it might just be a fair weather car or it's driver. So I'll change the Distributor Cap tomorrow and the spark plug wires. I'll let you know what happens. I did this same thing on my Bronco when I had it so I know how to do this.
Many Thanks Joe!

Old 07-21-03, 05:33 PM
To be safe change one wire at a time.

Old 07-21-03, 05:37 PM
Paprincess
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tip Dan I will be sure to do it that way.

Search this Thread