Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starting an Old Truck

Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 07:15 AM   #1  
Marcon
Starting an Old Truck

I am trying to start a 1985 Ford F250 which has not been used for 8 years (ran fine until that time). I have replaced the battery, and starter. When I try to start the truck, the starter engages but is unable to turn the engine. How can I get the engine to turn?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 07:23 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Hopefully you changed the oil before you started it .

Does the starter turn the engine (in that the fan and belts move)?

If not, the starter motor is wiped. The engine may also be seized from sitting, but not likely.

Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 07:32 AM   #3  
Marcon
Starting Engine

Joe:

The oil has been changed.

The starter engages but can't seem to turn the engine (I bench tested the starter and it works fine).

Is there some way to manually turn the engine so as to "break" the "rust seize"? Should I pry on the flywheel?

Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 07:45 AM   #4  
knuckles
Remove all 8 spark plugs. Pour a few teaspoons of Marvel Mystery Oil or automatic transmission fluid into each cylinder.

Allow it to sit overnight. Then try prying on the flywheel with a BIG srewdriver. You may have to repeat this process SEVERAL times before the engine breaks free.

Once the engine breaks free, crank it over several times to expel all the oil from the cylinders. Install the plugs & drive it. It'll smoke like crazy for awhile, so be prepared.

Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 07:48 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Or, you could use a big breaker bar on the harmonic balancer and try to turn the engine free that way.

07-22-03, 05:24 PM   #6  
Agree with knuckles about the oil . This may take a few times but I just got a 2.8l blazer unsiezed like that. It sat for 2 weeks soaking it down every am and turned right over. Dont pry too hard let the oil unlock it for you.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-22-03, 10:30 PM   #7  
to avoid this in the future (for anyone) you should 'fog' the engine when it has to sit for a while. marine supply stores sell this as boats and waverunners sit the winter and usually are close to the water and most have no air filter, only a spark arrestor, letting all kinds of moisture into the engine.

my (84)truck also was seized when i found it, and it only sat for like 8 months. knuckle's advice is excellent. all i did was turn the front crankbolt back and forth though (easier than laying in the weeds). after it ran for a few days, it never stopped smoking, there wasn't a valve stem seal left in the engine. with the heads off, i found one cylinder with some deep pock marks of where rust used to be, like water or antifreeze settled into one cylinder. after some serious honing, it was a little better, but still there. back together it went and it still runs today and smoothly with it's "bad" "leaker" "non rebuilt" "crude" "non quadrajet" "lackluster" "non chevy" "non pontiac" carbureter!

Visiting Guest

07-23-03, 03:26 AM   #8  
Joe_F
Ya forgot bottom barrel .

BTW: Quadrajet is a Rochester/GM trademark, not usually specific to division---although Chevrolet used Q-jets with a side mounted fuel inlet, the others did not.

Both Ford and Chrysler purchased the Q-jet (and other Rochesters) for their vehicles. Neither Ford nor Chrysler really designed their own carburetors. The "Ford" carburetor is loosely based on Holley design .

OH

07-23-03, 04:07 AM   #9  
Hey since this has merged into a little carb talk I was always wondering about this 64' SS Chevelle I had. It was mostly stock 327 and had a Carter 4bbl. Who is Carter and was it stock or after market? It was an excellent carb but just curious.

Edited:

Just read the other post on the Dodge truck and you guys were talking about the Carter. Now that I think about it the Carter was on a Charger I had 74' 340, still ran great. The Chevelle had a Q-Jet.

Visiting Guest

07-23-03, 06:45 AM   #10  
Joe_F
Some 60's GM muscle cars had Holleys as OEM equipment. Some early GM's had Carter as OEM too from what I remember.

Carter made the Q-jet under Rochester license for a while because GM couldn't make them fast enough to keep up with demand. I have seen Carter Q-jets, they are almost the same thing .

The 60's muscle cars with Holleys were hardly streetable nor efficient. Given that fuel was probably 50 cents a gallon when these cars were new, it wasn't much of a concern.

As fuel and emissions tightened, GM realized that they had a great carburetor and subsequently, almost everything got a Rochester through the later 60's and 70's, excepting a few holdouts/unique applications.

Search this Thread