89 Cutass Fuel Injection

Old 07-22-03, 07:55 PM
Rodger E.
Visiting Guest
89 Cutass Fuel Injection

The fuel injectors on my 89 Cutlass Supreme with a 2.8 V6 do not fire at all. Ignition is good. If I spray gas in the intake the engine will start momentarily. When I connect the fuel pump test terminal to 12v, I get about 40 PSI fuel pressure. Use of an Actron Fuel Injector & Harness Tester shows the harness has continuity but the fuel injectors not being energized. With the guidance of a Haynes manuel, I have checked the fuel pump relay and all fuses relating to the fuel pump and the two fuses for the injectors. Everything is OK. The Actron instrument is capable of remotely energizing one injector at a time. When I do this while turning the starter I can hear the engine fire on that one cylinder. Just turning the key to the on position will not run the fuel pump, but as mentioned above the pump will run through the test terminal. Any ideas?
Thanks, Rodger

Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-03, 09:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If you plug a noid light into each injector plug one at a time, does the light go on/pulse? If not, juice is not reaching your injectors (electrical issue)

Old 07-23-03, 03:06 AM
Rodger E.
Visiting Guest
Yes, I have tested each injector with the Actron tester. There is no pulse at any injector. But, like mentioned before the harness tests out good along with associated relays and fuses.
Even though I can run the fuel pump through the test terminal, shouldn't it run when the key is in the on position?

Old 07-23-03, 03:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Sounds like it's still a ground issue or the injector driver in the ECM is wiped.

Have the computer checked through a parts store's electronics supplier to verify it.

Old 07-23-03, 06:14 PM
Rodger E.
Visiting Guest
I tried a new ECM but, no luck. I'll keep on tracing the wiring unless anyone can think of another idea.
Thanks, Rodger

Old 07-23-03, 06:20 PM
What's the condition of pick-up coil and module? Can't picture a 2.8 in a cutlass...?

Old 07-23-03, 06:37 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
2.8 was used in 89 cutlass's. I had a 2.8 In a chevy P/U back in 84, that was the last 2.8 I cared to even think about.

Old 07-23-03, 06:52 PM
have you checked for 12 volts to the injectors?
does the check engine light function when the key is in the on position, and will it flash a code 12 when test terminal a and b are jumpered on the aldl connector?
any emmissions system manual for your car or a subscription to all data should have flow charts for a car that doesnt start which should lead you directly to the problem simply by following the chart.
just because it has fire does not mean the ignition module is good the module has to send a signal to the ecm for the ecm to know when to fire the injectors.

Old 07-23-03, 08:06 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
First things first. Have you checked all of the ECM and injector fuses?

There are 2 ECM fuses. 1 is in the underhood electrical center & the other is inside the car.

The injectors are fed from 2 different fuses in the right side electrical center. Check these fuses too.

I've gathered the entire ECM and injector wiring diagrams. Download the diagrams. Use the diagrams to check for power and ground at the appropriate ECM connectors.

Shorted injectors and output solenoids (Canister purge, TCC, EGR vacuum regulator, etc) are pretty common on these cars. 1 short can ruin your whole day AND a brand new ECM. You can check each injector and other output solenoids with an ohmmeter.

Download the diagrams at the URL below:

http://www.batauto.com/techs/89_cutl...m_diagrams.zip

Old 07-23-03, 08:37 PM
Rodger E.
Visiting Guest
Thank you all, for the replies. I have checked all fuses including the 2 that are specifically for the injectors. I will download the diagrams and investigate further.
Thanks again, Rodger

Old 07-24-03, 03:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

MSA:

This is a front wheel drive 2.8 vin code W MFI V6 Cutlass if that jogs your memory.

The last of the great ones rolled off the line sometime in 1988 when the Cutlass Supreme Classic line ended. That had a 5.0 Olds 307 and rear wheel drive.

Far simpler and superior .