Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cv joints

07-23-03, 06:40 AM   #1  
cv joints

First, I want to thank you for the good advice I received on this board concerning a brake job I had on my 1993 Buick Century. I had a brake job done by one shop and had to take it to another to solve a problem I was having with the front rotors.I have another question. A friend has a 1991 Oldsmobile Delta 88. She needs cv joints on both the left and right sides of her car. A mechanic that she is using for the first time gave her an estimate of $200.00 per side. Work includes parts and labor(parts are new). This is a mechanic that does work on the side out of his garage. Both she and I know nothing about cars. Do you think this is a fair price? I have no problem with the amount he quoted. I just don't want her to get involved with the wrong mechanic like I did. I appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-23-03, 06:42 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds reasonable if the parts are good quality. CV joint work is not hard, especially when you change the whole axle shaft . Plop the old one out, put in in the box to return as a core, put the new one in.

The parts are likely rebuilt; not new. A new axle if available would exceed the value if the car. LOL!

07-23-03, 04:34 PM   #3  
As Joe said, sounds about right.. On average, $125.00-$140.00 per axle, and about an hour's labor per side..(My shop gets $65.00 per hour) so it sounds like a decent deal..Only question I can think of is what kind of warranty is the mechanic offering? Life time, 12/12 ect?? And of course, get the warranty in writting...

07-24-03, 12:53 PM   #4  
cv joints

Just want to thank everyone again for the good advice. I had the cv shaft on both sides and one motor mount replaced. What a difference it has made in the way the car rides and handles. I appreciate the help.

Search this Thread