Freon or R134a

Old 07-24-03, 12:05 PM
m shades
Visiting Guest
Question Freon or R134a

I have a 1995 Saturn SL2. My air conditioner is only blowing cool air, and in over 100 degree weather, that just doesn't cut it. I think getting the coolant recharged would do the trick, and I would like to do it myself if possible. But I don't want to attempt it if I have to "switch" it over myself. How do I know what coolant I need?

Old 07-24-03, 12:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Your vehicle uses R134A originally. You must find the source of the leak, if there is one and correct it before recharging.

It may also have other problems besides being low on refrigerant.

A/C work is not DIY work without the proper tools, service information and know-how.

Old 07-24-03, 12:27 PM
m shades
Visiting Guest
reply to Joe

Thanks Joe. I am definitely going to get the system checked for leaks, just in case. Always helpful to know beforehand as much info as I can find out, though. What other problems could this be related to?

Old 07-24-03, 05:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Cooling system issues, electrical fault in the A/C system, leaks, bad parts, etc, etc, etc.

Old 07-25-03, 07:45 AM
m shades
Visiting Guest
Thank you Joe. I have read every thread here that I could find for AC, but I still feel sadly uninformed when it comes to the AC system, so any information you can give is very helpful.

I had the radiator replaced a few months ago. And just last week, I took it in to the same repair shop for overheating problems. They ran diagnostics (the engine light was also coming on intermittently - all due to the cooling system they discovered). The diagnostics came back great after a fan switch was replaced.

The repair shop I used didn't know ANYTHING about the AC system. They didn't even know if I had freon or "the new stuff". And before I trust my car to another shop for the AC, I want to be as informed as possible.

So, if the diagnostic tests came back clean, is it still potentially an electrical problem? And how does a mechanic test for the other potential problems you listed above?

Old 07-25-03, 07:47 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check with a good AC shop which is ASE certified and specializes in Saturns or A/C repair in general.

The Saturns use a Zexel compressor which has its share of problems. Again, AC work should be left to shops with the right equipment and knowledge to repair them.

Choose any shop that is recommended by friends and neighbors which has no complaints from the Better Business Bureau and answers your questions in a satisfactory manner.

Choosing a repair shop is often the same as choosing a doctor. Same type of analysis.

Old 07-25-03, 07:56 AM
m shades
Visiting Guest
LOL Very good point! I'll start looking around here and asking questions. Thanks for all your help!

Old 07-25-03, 07:58 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

You're welcome and good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: