Bumping left shock

Old 07-25-03, 10:43 AM
eternallyem
Visiting Guest
Bumping left shock

I drive a 96 Ford Probe GTS, 3.0L 24v - standard. I have a small problem, mostly just an annoyance - when i go over any bumps i hear a noise as if metal were just bumping against metal. The shocks absorb fine normally, but still there is a distinct noise. And we've determined it's only on the left hand side in the back. Is it possible that there is simply a bolt missing and something is loose? If so, what could be loose and where could I look for this? I really don't think it is a matter of getting new shocks all together. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-03, 11:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sometimes the mount (rubber) in some cases goes bad back there. I believe the Probe has struts all the way around.

If so, betcha this mount is ripped . Any parts store will have a replacement. I toss 'em when I do struts in favor of new ones .

Old 07-25-03, 11:42 AM
Nascar24Fan
Visiting Guest
i don't know about ford, but i had a chevy that had that same problem that you just described. what happen was, the center bolt came off the shock. you may want to look in your trunk and remove the rubber boot that covers it and have a look.. you can look in the rear of the vehicle to see if the shock is out of the hole too, which was the case with mine.

Old 07-25-03, 03:50 PM
1_4_U
Visiting Guest
I agree it's the upper strut mount. Replace struts & mounts.

Old 07-25-03, 09:20 PM
eternallyem
Visiting Guest
Thanks.. onto transmission :-D

aight thanks, ill probably end up replacing struts/mounts - might as well post another question here as well then, concerning the transmission. Tends to grind occaisionally, but only when shifting to second, others are fine, and usually only does it after i've been driving for a while. . . If i let the rpm's fall almost completely before i shift to second, it goes without a problem, but shifting at regular speed, most often does grind. any advice?

Old 07-26-03, 06:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Assume it's a stick? When's the last time it saw a clutch or fluid replacement?

Old 07-26-03, 12:53 PM
eternallyem
Visiting Guest
yes, its a stick - and i really don't know when it was replaced last, the car is new to me. You think simply changing the fluids would help?

Old 07-27-03, 07:27 AM
I would change the fluid and put in synthetic,if it still does it the synchronizer is likely bad and time for a rebuild.

Old 07-27-03, 07:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Davo. Change the fluid and see where that nets you.

Old 07-27-03, 01:19 PM
eternallyem
Visiting Guest
ok.. but if it were the fluid, it wouldn't just be affecting second gear would it... thats what im' afraid of - i think its the synchro, thats what various friends have said. thanks, ill probably do the fluids too.

Old 07-27-03, 04:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Change the fluid---see where that nets you.

$ynchros for this car are likely quite expensive.

Search this Thread