Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Buick Regal 1988

Visiting Guest

07-25-03, 02:34 PM   #1  
bobh
Buick Regal 1988

I have a 1988 Buick Regal Custom Four Seater with a 2.8 v-6 with 297500 kilometers. It runs beautifully and has been well taken care of. Not exactly a car for our cold climates up here, the door locks and handles are constantly freezing up but an excellant car. Now my problem is that for the last year or so when the car reaches opperating temperature and is turned off it won't restart. At first it took about five minutes and then would start. Now it has gotten to the point that it takes an hour or more. I have been going through all the systems and making a few repairs and some tightening up where vacuum leaks may be. It runs as well as ever now but this problem persists. I finally tracked it to having no spark when hot. Everything I check seems okay. Is it possible the ignition control module is breaking down under the heat? I don't get any error codes for anything else and it seems to me to be the most likely thing but I don't want to spend 200 plus bucks for nothing. Anybody have any suggestions? bobh

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-25-03, 04:06 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Yes, the ignition modules and coils are common failure items on these cars.

Use autolibrary.org in my signature file to guide you in testing before damning parts as bad.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-27-03, 12:51 AM   #3  
It could be the module, and it could also be the pickup. The pickup is usually the one that causes temperature-related problems. They are both inexpensive, but replacing the pickup requires removing the distributor. (not a hard job). I would reccomend replacing both while you are in there to try to avoid future troubles.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

07-27-03, 05:10 AM   #4  
Your car doesn't have a pickup coil,no distributer.I also would test the module because it has a start circuit and a run circuit,so if the start circuit goes open after initial start it will continue to run until turned off.If it remains open until cool the engine will crank but not start while it's hot.Don't just replace it test it and the crank sensor and ECM.The ECM was put in a bad place on these cars,subjected to engine heat and road grime if I remember correctly.

07-27-03, 10:24 PM   #5  
the crank sensor is inexpensive and can cause the symptoms you describe and is much more common to fail than the ignition module or ecm, i would start there.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-27-03, 10:28 PM   #6  
My bad...I was thinking regals were still RWD with HEI systems in 1988.

God bless!

Visiting Guest

07-28-03, 03:21 AM   #7  
Joe_F
1987 on the Regal, they had the 3.8 liter vin A and the 5.0 liter vin Y. I believe our Canadian neighbors had a 5.0 vin H 305 as their V8 option too.

Buick & Pontiac bowed out a year earlier on the RWD G body. Presumably due to lower sales versus their sister versions of the G-machine. Chevy and Oldsmobile kept the torch lit through 1988. Then, they all went to the bottom barrel W body FWD by 1989.

Sigh, I wish you were right though Cheese. LOL. Great looking cars, and great cars overall.

Long live the old GM rear drive .

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

07-28-03, 06:38 PM   #8  
Yep, those rwd regals were sharp looking cars. The fwd ones look good too, to me, but they don't have that "solid" look to them.

God bless!

Search this Thread