sun buckled dash

Old 07-25-03, 07:54 PM
wingman
Visiting Guest
sun buckled dash

I have a 1999 KIA Sephia. On the drivers side, the sun has made the dash buckel up along the defrost vent on the insterment side about 2 inches high. What is the best way to repair this to make it stay down? Just glue it?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-03, 12:12 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Well, the BEST way to repair it would be to replace the entire instrument panel. That's probably not feasible. You can try gluing it, but it probably won't work.

Most IPs consist of a vinyl shell bonded to a foam core w/ steel supports. See www.justdashes.com for pics & info on IP construction & repair.

It sounds like the vinyl has separated from the foam or otherwise deformed due to heat.

I know of no commercially available glue that will repair your IP & look acceptable.

http://www.coverlaymfg.com/ sells form fitting plastic covers for many popular applications. Unfortunately, your car is not listed on their site. You may want to e-mail them & see if they are planning to release a cover for your car in the future.

Old 07-26-03, 06:30 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Agree with Knuckles.

If it were my car, I would be asking KIA for a new dash pad. No 4 year old car should have that happen to it.