1993 Dodge Caravan "check gauges"

Old 07-25-03, 10:49 PM
Question 1993 Dodge Caravan "check gauges"

A little help will be appreciated. I have the van, 160 K miles (lots of new parts in the last two years), with the original engine (3.3L)that runs fine. The engine has had 6 new fuel injectors, water pump, alternator, wires, plugs, etc. Recently, the "check gauges" light has been intermittently flashing. My daughter had the van the other day and said that the oil pressure gauge fell to zero when the light flashed. She shut it off and restarted the van and the light went away. I had the van today and noticed the check gauges light flicker but the oil pressure gauge was at about 1/3 the way up, and stayed there.

We have oil (no loss), and I am changing it tomorrow. All other gauges are fine (temp, alternator).

Anybody been there with this?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-03, 12:02 AM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
You might want to check/replace the oil pressure sender. They're common failure items & they can momentarily fail, causing the light to flicker.

The sender is cheap, so you might as well start there. It's easy to change...replace it when you change the oil.

Old 07-26-03, 06:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with Knuckles.

Old 07-26-03, 08:03 AM
Thumbs up I will do that....

Thanks, that thought came to my mind yesterday also. Now that you folks concur, I will change it today. I'll report back later.

Thanks,

Tony

Old 07-26-03, 10:47 PM
Cool Not yet!

OK, I picked up a new sending unit today at PEP Boys ($23.00). I was going to install it but the engine was so hot I defered to Sunday. BUT, I did remove the throttle body housing (a previous post led me there (thanks!)) and cleaned the bore, the plate and all around it. I even used the correct cleaner. The "old lady" seems to run smoother. It had an intermittent stall problem after a long highway run. Maybe the throttle body cleanup will fix it? Boy, it was dirty!

Ran off tonight to the restraunt with the wife and no "check gauges" light or even a hint of a stall. I'll report back Sunday after the sending unit is changed along with the oil.

Thanks for the tip on the throttle body cleaning!

Tony

Old 07-27-03, 10:30 PM
Wink Done!

I did the oil change that the old girl needed. Then I went O'Rielly's and found the tool that I needed to remove and replace the oil pressure switch. Great, these aftermarket tools: I measured 27 mm for the removal. The tool said 1 1/16" but I doubt that it is really that. Oh well! The sending unit works fine and no "check gauges" lites all day. One thing I noticed is that the old switch was fairly "gummed" up in the bore. Probably, a good cleaning would have saved me from purchasing a new switch.

Hey guys and gals, thanks for the tips and direction,

Tony

Old 07-28-03, 03:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Nah, you'd likely ruin the switch by cleaning it. It was finished anyhow.

Pitch it with confidence you did the right thing---it was likely wasted electrically.

Glad it's fixed.