'97 lumina driver's window

Old 07-26-03, 07:37 AM
steve13142
Visiting Guest
'97 lumina driver's window

Me again, Driver's window gets stuck down every few weeks, then works again. Don't hear a motor runnig when it's stuck. Off track ,bad motor ?? Is replacing the window motor a DIY with limited tools or one for the shop. And an estimate for the cost of part(s)?

Old 07-26-03, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
Possible bad motor, but you would want to make sure it isn't the switch.

Window motors are d-i-y depending on your definition of limited tools. You'll want to check out the procedure in a repair manual or through Alldata, but generally windopw motors are held to the door with large rivets that must be drilled out or chiseled off. The replacement is installed either with nuts and bolts or rivets.

Last window motor I did was on an F150 and I think I paid about $50 for the part and an hour or so to R&R it. Unless the Lumina has a gold-plated motor, I would expect you should be able to get the job done for well under $200. No need to get a factory part on this job; the lower priced aftermarket ones work fine.

Old 07-27-03, 08:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agree with TowGuy, BUT get the OEM motor from Delco.

Fords like the F150 you worked on tend to be easier to do. Some of the later GMs have them buried---not a job you want to do twice.

Most GMs have the motor serviced outside the vehicle with the regulator. Can be a PITA of a job to do.

Old 07-27-03, 08:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Upvotes on 199 Posts
I bow to your superior knowledge base, j.c.

Ford actually engineered something easier to work on than GM? There's a first, LOL.

Old 07-27-03, 01:02 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

No because they still break. LOL.

Old 07-27-03, 05:09 PM
1_4_U
Visiting Guest
Maybe a broken wire in the door jamb . Between door & A-pillar.Opening & closing door sometimes contact sometimes not. Move the harness back & forth while working the switch.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: