Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Water Pump Question

Visiting Guest

07-26-03, 02:07 PM   #1  
katz157
Water Pump Question

Need to replace the water pump in my 2000 GMC Jimmy. Repair shop said it would be $277.00 plus the cost to flush the radiator. Is this a reasonable price? Also, would this be something that I could replace myself? I am real green at car repair and maint. If there is a place online where I could get good instruction, I would really prefer to do it myself.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-26-03, 02:42 PM   #2  
knuckles
You can do it yourself if you have basic hand tools. You'll also need a fan clutch wrench, available for purchase or possibly rental at your local autoparts store.

I recommend an alldataDIY subscription ($25/year) at www.alldatadiy.com for online service info. Your local parts store may also have a Haynes manual for your car. Either will do.

Get a Prestone Radiator flush kit & follow the directions. Make sure you use GM's wonderful DexCool when you refill the cooling system.

Visiting Guest

07-27-03, 08:12 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I agree withKnuckles but I would be asking for a free repair on this vehicle from the dealer

No 3 year old car should need a water pump. The factory warranty (or a goodwill customer warranty if you argue enough) might cover this repair.

Search this Thread