Heard of "Vampire Remote Start/Keyless Entry"

Old 07-26-03, 06:02 PM
doni49
Visiting Guest
Heard of "Vampire Remote Start/Keyless Entry"

Has anyone ever heard of Vampire Remote Start/Keyless Entry?

Is it a quality system?

TIA

P.S. Here's a link to an EBay auction for this unit. This is where I found it.

The Link

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-03, 05:32 AM
In my opinion all remote starts are bad because you will have to damage insulation on many wires in your vehicle causing future electrical problems and added expense.Still 47 left lol.

Old 07-27-03, 08:01 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

I agree with Davo.

Most are poor quality and have to be subsequently removed.

Remote starts are dangerous. A vehicle should never be started while not attended by a driver.

Old 07-27-03, 04:42 PM
doni49
Visiting Guest
OK, I understand that reasoning. Taking your thoughts into consideration, I still want to install one. I'll make sure the connections are well made and properly taped. I've been working with electrical wiring of pretty much all types long enough to handle that very well.

My question is more along the lines of what experience, if any does anyone have with THIS unit? Is the quality of this unit comparable to other more expensive systems?

I've never heard of any good quality system needing to be removed--except when the car was sold and the owner wanted to transfer it to the new car.

As far as starting while unattended, I don't see this as being any worse than leaving it run while you run inside the house. As long as the car is in park, it should be fine. In fact the way these systems work, it is even better than leaving it run with the key in the ignition. Because it can't be driven without the key in the ignition.

Thanks for your thoughts. I do appreciate them.

P.S. Davo, what in the world does "Still 47 left lol." mean? That one's got me stumped and curious.

Old 07-27-03, 04:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Nope, shouldn't leave it unattended PERIOD. It could slip out of gear and kill someone or overheat and you'd never know it!

As for the quality of these, they all stink. Period. Anytime you have to tap into the wiring harness, you're asking for a hornet's nest of problems.

If you're hellbent on installing one of these, see if the dealer offers it as an accessory kit. Chances are if they don't the OEM thinks it stinks too .

Old 07-27-03, 06:54 PM
Huxley
Visiting Guest
I agree with Joe

Here in Kansas City I have heard stories where people start their cars up in the winter for 5 to 10 minutes so there warm. In the mean time someone walking down the street sees that no one in around the car so they break the window and steal it happens all the time in KC.

Old 07-27-03, 07:00 PM
doni49
Visiting Guest
Re: I agree with Joe

Originally posted by Huxley
Here in Kansas City I have heard stories where people start their cars up in the winter for 5 to 10 minutes so there warm. In the mean time someone walking down the street sees that no one in around the car so they break the window and steal it happens all the time in KC.
Hux, I've heard those same stories. However the way these remote starters work is that you press a button on your remote and the car starts. If the brake is pressed without the key being in the ignition and in the run position, the engine cuts out--meaning if you push the brake to change gears and don't have the key in place, the engine will shut down. In addition, my car uses a transponder key. If the key in the ignition is NOT this transponder key, not only does the engine cut out, but the car has to be towed to a dealer to be re-programmed. Thus, if you don't have the proper key, the vehicle is TOTALLY immobilized.

Last edited by doni49; 07-28-03 at 04:22 AM.