Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1999 VW Beetle Electrical BUG

07-29-03, 06:50 AM   #1  

1999 VW Beetle. This has been an evolving problem.
Several days ago I unlocked the driver door with the key remote and got in.
I placed the key on the pass seat and left the driver door open. About 30 seconds
later the alarm went off. The unlock button on the remote silenced it.

Yesterday morning I opened the door to get in and noted no interior lights.
I also noted the control buttons (Lock,unlock, window) on the passenger door were illuminated.
The car started fine and everything works. On my way home the auto door locks cycled once by themselves.
After parking at home and getting out (this is wild) the car locked itself.
My first thought was the key remote was stuck. I left the remote in the house and closed the door
and sure enough it locked itself in about 30 sec.

This am before operating the car, the pass. control buttons are still illuminated, the interior lights do operate when the door is opened. As far as the car locking itself, you guessed it, it didn't.

The good new is the car hasn't spoken to me, yet.
I suspect a relay failure somewhere I just don't know where to start since three items are, or seem to be involved (Pass. control button illumination, door power lock, security system).
Any ideas? I'm afraid this may be a dealer problem.

Thanks
Pat

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-29-03, 07:11 AM   #2  
Joe_F
The VW bug has been plagued with electrical gazorches since this little tyke came back into being in 1998.

I suggest you look at alldata.com and if any technical bulletins apply to your problem, you discuss them with a dealer. Maybe they will give you some partial reimbursement for the problem if it's a pattern failure. If there's a recall, you should get it for free.

Check it out.

Unfortunately, the Bug has been plagued with bugs .

Search this Thread