Shaky steering wheel

Old 07-29-03, 09:28 AM
Shaky steering wheel

I've had this problem for a while. I have a 1998 Mustang V6 auto which I just had new tires put on, balanced, etc, and also had a wheel alignment done at the same time. When I am going about 50mph or higher, I get a slight vibration in my steering wheel. When I push the brake at this speed, the steering wheel shakes pretty badly until I stop. I just did the rear brakes on my car with new pads and rotors a few months ago, and the fronts were done at a shop about a month earlier than that. Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-03, 09:35 AM
Sounds like front rotors are warped. I'm not sure what the Mustang has for rotors, but a lot of the "hat shaped" rotors really aren't holding up after being turned. I've tried a couple of times on my front wheel drive vehicles and can't seem to get more than 5-10 thousand miles before they warp.

Old 07-29-03, 09:37 AM
jtackett
Visiting Guest
If it shakes when you hit the brakes then your rotors are warped. This can happen even on new rotors if they are very hot & you hit water. I drove many Chevy Celebrities for company cars over the years & those rotors were paper thin-had to replace them at least one a year (after all, it was a company car & we didn't exactly treat them the way they should be treated) New tires can also cause vibration while driving, even if they are balanced correctly. Your shop where you got your tires should gladly put your tires back on the balancer & show you that they are "true" when spinning. There should be no side-to-side or up-and-down movement. Good luck! Jeff

Old 07-29-03, 10:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Rotate your tires front to back. See if that helps. If not, then look into the brakes.

As noted, you may have bad rotors.

Old 07-29-03, 11:40 AM
Well....the thing is that I had the problem before I got the new tires put on on Saturday. I had all 4 replaced, too.

Old 07-29-03, 12:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Therefore it's likely brake related as noted by myself and others.