Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

wiper problem, 96 Voyager

07-29-03, 10:16 AM   #1  
wiper problem, 96 Voyager

Wipers stop in middle of windshield when turned off, will not go down to the rest position. initial promblem was wipers did not work at all. switch is good. I pulled motor and put juice to it and it worked but I also put juice to the terminals that I believe may have been the resisters for delays I got a big spark but motor still worked. Also had the linkage off. I put it all back together and found corrosion going to relay in the control panel. I repaired the wire and now as I said it all works except when I turn on delays it makes one rotation then stops in the middle off the windshield. High and low work normal but when I turn off wipers they come to rest in the middle of the windshield. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Don

Last edited by laclairdf; 07-29-03 at 11:53 AM.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

07-29-03, 12:53 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds like the motor or the park switch (sometimes part of the motor) is wasted.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-29-03, 07:59 PM   #3  
believe it or not, this is a complex system. you have a switch in the column sending 'multiplexed' signals to the BCM (a computer under the dash). the bcm in turn controls the wiper on/off relay and the high/low relay, there should be no resistors on or in the wiper motor. a big spark is usually a bad sign that something got melted, like a park switch inside the motor. short of a wiring diagram and a scan tool, it gets difficult to diagnose without guessing. we replaced many wiper switches for the wipers coming on by themselves, but you have a different problem. did you switch relays around, like the starter and wiper on/off--fuel pump and wiper high/low, this is the first thing i do.

if you have a test light, you can check the park switch sense, it is the dark green with white tracer wire in the big bundle of wires on the front of the wiper cowl, you need to backprobe that wire with the test light clipped onto power, to see if a ground is recognized by the computer when the wipers hit the park area. if not, it's likely a melted terminal inside the motor.

let us know where you get

07-30-03, 05:30 AM   #4  
Yes I switched the relays also I bought a multi fuction switch from a junk yard but the same problem exists. I didn't know about the park switch but am beginning to believe that is the problem. I will check with test light and let you know, thanks

07-30-03, 11:49 AM   #5  
Thanks Joe and Mike. I found the problem. I had the linkage off the motor at one point and put it back on one quarter turn from where it should have been. Dumb............again thanks anyway, Don

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

07-30-03, 09:56 PM   #6  
cool--an easy fix.

i thought about that as i typed the reply, but i didn't know if it had a keyway spline or not. when we get new motors, they already have the little arm on it, so there's no confusion(for us)

glad to hear it's done though

Search this Thread