Suspension Noises?

Old 07-29-03, 06:38 PM
GlassesRx
Visiting Guest
Question Suspension Noises?

Hi again everyone....

I have a 1997 Lincoln Continental. I have this annoying suspension,grinding noise I cannot locate. I have even taken it to a mechanic, several of them. Although it sounds like it is coming from the front sway bar bushings...I have lubed them numerous times. It only occurs after I have driven the car for about 20 minutes. When I am cruising on the highway, and there are subtle "bounces" on the highway, this crunching,grinding, noise occurs. Any ideas where to look, and what to check out would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has had this problem occur as well, thanks for sharing. Oh yes, the car has 85,000 miles on it.

Old 07-29-03, 07:09 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could have worn $trut$.

Check alldata.com for any known bulletins on the problem.

Old 07-29-03, 10:24 PM
GlassesRx
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the lead Joe...but I had the struts checked out, no leaks. When it makes that crunching noise...you can feel it throughout the gas pedal, and floor.

Any other ideas? Thanks for your response.

Old 07-29-03, 11:07 PM
Visiting Guest
i've seen other manufacterers with this same loud crunching noise as you describe

a simple squirt of the grease gun into the ball joints and tie rod ends quickly cures this, some even had less than a thousand miles--must have been a union smoke break on the assembly line.

you should hope your car even has grease fitting though, most don't anymore. if you can have someone bounce the car while you or someone lays underneath, try to isolate where the noise is coming from.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: