obd2 location

Old 07-30-03, 06:02 AM
joecon
Visiting Guest
obd2 location

Where is the obd2 port on a 2000 Nissan Maxima?

Thanks,

Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-03, 06:40 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Should be under the dash area.

What are you trying to figure out/what is the actual problem? If the check engine light is on, bring it to Autozone, they will scan for codes for free.

Post what they find.

Old 07-30-03, 05:26 PM
If your car has a fuse box in the dash, right above your left knee, it's sometimes inside the little cover, at the top of the fuse box...

Old 08-13-03, 07:57 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
every vehicle with OBDII is required to have the same connector and it in the same location. Also the language of the computer is the same. Unless it was built for another country than the USA it should be under the dash above the right knee.

Old 08-14-03, 03:43 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tsk:

Please define what you mean by the "language is the same".

Many manufacturers STILL have their own OBDII specific codes that some scanners cannot read unless they are that scan tool that the manufacturer specifies.

Ex: Chrysler comes to mind that certain codes can only be read by their scan tool.

Old 08-14-03, 04:41 AM
joecon..... I will look and post back tonight where the connector is for you.

It is true that all 1996 and newer have to have the same type connector.

Here is what I have come up with though, being a North Carolina Motor Vehicle Inspector:

The connector is absolutely NOT always in the same place. In fact my inspection machine has a utility that tells me the general area of where the connector is in case I cant find it right under the dash. I have seen them on most American and Asian cars from the left side of the dash all the way to the far right of the passenger compartment. On some Asian and ALOT of European cars they are some where in the console. For instance Volkswagen Jetta/Passat are behind a little cover just to the side of the ashtray. You have to remove the ashtray and slide the cover to the side to access it. On a 1997 Audi A4 the connector is in the rear of the dash above the ash tray. I have seen some others under the cupholder and the center of the console.

On to the other issue, There are some 2003/4 cars that will not communicate with the machine. The manufacturers have decided to have a little loophole for the connector issue. The law states that the connector has to have the same shape, but since the Inspection machine doesnt use all 16 pins (only used 5 or 6) they mix up where their connectors go and so the machine will not communicate. I have experienced this twice on the same car. It was a 2003 BMW M3. I received a email from DMV a few weeks ago that was explaining how some cars manufactured in certain areas fall under what is called CAN cars. Controlled Area Network. These cars may not communicate with the inspection machine as well and if they do not we have a procedure outline that we have to follow.
Hope this helps shed light for someone,
Billy

Old 08-14-03, 03:54 PM
Joecon...... As Msargent said the connector is under the dash by your left knee. This is what my machine at work says.
Hope this helps,
Billy