lockup torque converter

Old 07-30-03, 11:21 AM
emerral
Visiting Guest
lockup torque converter

Does anyone know what happens if the lockup torque converter is disconnected? What are the overall effects? Short term, long term etc. The vehicle is a 1989 chevy corsica.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-03, 11:32 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Loss of MPG & efficiency.

If you keep the tranny fluid clean and change it regularly, no real long term ill effects.

GM has had numerous bulletins on this problem. Many involve pretty extensive repairs to correct. Sometimes it's the lockup solenoid, sometimes it's in the valve body.

The TCC has been disconnected on my 89 Cavalier for 6 months. No problems. I drive the car over 200 miles a week.

Old 07-30-03, 11:51 AM
emerral
Visiting Guest
Thanks Joe. Actually I'm looking to sell the car and I figured the repairs to be fairly costly. I just wanted to be able to tell any prospective buyer what the situation was and that it'd be ok to drive without having to spend a ton of money right off the bat.

Old 07-30-03, 12:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yup, that's fine, be up front and honest about this issue.

By the time any "ill effects" of it occur, the car will either a) need a new tranny anyhow for other reasons (so if the car was in good shape, it'd be worth a rebuilt) , or b) be ready for the scrapheap