'84 Regal spark plug replacement

Old 07-30-03, 02:22 PM
Seahawk1
Visiting Guest
'84 Regal spark plug replacement

My '84 Buick Regal sometimes "coughs" when I turn it off, especially after driving highway or over 15-20 min. trips. Also, it often feels as though it is struggling for power, such as if I try to accelerate or just push the gas peddle to quickly pull out from a stop...like it's missing a spark, sometimes with a "Pop" sound. My father, who is not exactly a "car guy", but handier and more knowledgeable than me, suggested new spark plugs. I bought some today(for a 3.8Ltr and V-6 engine), and the sales guy at the auto supply shop said to make sure it was set to a 60 Gap setting. Also, on the back of the plugs' box, it says 1/16th turn after finger tight(for gasketless tapered seat); and 1/4 to 1/2 turn after finger tight(for Gasket seat)....my questions are:
1-Does spark plug replacement sound like a logical solution
2-What is a 60 Gap setting
3-How do I know if it is a gasket or gasketless tapered seat
4-Where under my hood are the spark plugs....I couldn't see them by just glancing around...
HELP!!!!!.....Thanks

Old 07-30-03, 03:33 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Spark Plugs? Depends, how long before it has a a good complete tune up? Gap is distance betwix electrode and tang of plug, and important this is set according to specs. A gasket plug simply has a compression washer on it, gasketless has none, usually a tapered seat. Follow each plug wire down to engine and you will surely find the plugs. If you opt to DIY, change only one plug and remove only one wire at a time. These can be a bear sometime.

Old 07-30-03, 04:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In your car, the engine sits in there like a "normal" engine? (in other words, rear wheel drive?) If so the plugs are usually in the head, under the exhaust manifolds, and plug wires wrap around the back end of the engine, underneath also..
If you're going to take the time for plugs, do the wires, distributor cap, rotor button, pcv and fuel filter also..Be sure to check the timing also when you're done..
How many miles on the engine?

Old 07-30-03, 05:04 PM
trendar
Visiting Guest
The "60" gap setting he mentioned probably is 0.060 inch gap, which you need a plug gap measurement tool to check and adjust if necessary-

Old 07-30-03, 05:10 PM
Seahawk1
Visiting Guest
reply to '84 regal spark plugs

It only has 68,000 miles....I want to have it ready for a weekend trip...only an hour there. I was hoping to save money and do it myself, but with all your suggestions, it sounds like I need a pro. I still can't see the plugs, let alone the other "stuff"....I'm not much of a car guy.

Old 07-30-03, 05:52 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
MSA:

All 1984 Regals are RWD. The Regal went FWD in 1988. All use the "LD5" 3.8 liter vin A Buick engine that year as well as a V8 option of a "LG4" 5.0 vin H 4 barrel.

Original poster: Spark plugs "ain't" the problem here. Poor quality fuel, timing or carburetor adjustments are. As the others have noted, a good tuneup is a great idea. Another possibility is a stuffed EGR valve which will cause "dieseling".

It doesn't get simpler than this old horse to tune up. The distributor cap's right up front and all of the plugs stare you in the face from what I remember. If you have to, jack up the car and get at the spark plugs through the wheel well if you can (some cars had solid wheel wells, but most have an access panel.

Use AC Delco plugs in this car. I believe the Delco # is R46TSX.

Unfortunately, the 3.8 in these cars is a slow, flat powered, pig of an engine coupled with an even worse transmission in most cases. Flat out terrible all the way around, lots of troubles with these .

If you've never done a tuneup before, take your time and follow the suggestions of the other posters.

Old 07-30-03, 06:06 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joe- I thought so (about rear wheel drive..) but as the saying goes, "I ain't sure about nothing, and I'm not so sure at that"..
Appreciate the info/reminder!! But that is why I use the HECK out of alldata and mitchell! LOL!

Old 07-30-03, 06:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

Lol. OK

You may have been thinking of the Somerset Regal. That started in 1985 and was front drive. It was on the Skylark platform. It had a 2.5 "Iron Duke" Tech 4 in most cases. I dated a girl that had one--it was crap. LOL.

To add to the confusion, in 1984 as one example there was a Somerset package on the RWD Regal too. LOL.

Old 07-30-03, 06:54 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
The driver's side plugs are easy. Accessed from the top. Same for the front plug on the pass. side.

The rear 2 pass. side plugs are most easily accessed through the wheelwell. You may want to remove the RF tire for more room.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: