Stripped oil drain threads.... IDEAS???

Old 07-31-03, 05:16 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Stripped oil drain threads.... IDEAS???

The threads in the oil pan for the drain plug were stripped so I installed a single oversized drain plug I got from Napa on a 1980 Chevy Monte Carlo 267 V8.

I screwed the drain plug about 3/4 of the way in, but cant seem to screw it all the way in so the drain plug gasket touches the oil pan no matter how much I try. Perhaps I was given a double oversized plug or the wrong one. I even had the mechanic across the street try and he said he didnt want to try turning the wrench any harder cause it seems real tight as it is.

It doesnt seem to leak now, but the fact that it's not all the way in and that the drain plug gasket isnt even touching the pan worries me. Any ideas what I should try next time I change the oil?? THANKS!!

Old 07-31-03, 05:44 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Seems what you are experiencing is normal. Those O/S plugs dont start re-threading till you make a couple turns. All I have seen are tapered "self threading". Usually it is the pan threads that have become stripped. Be patient and it should screw in the remainder of the distance. Be absolutely sure it is straight. Have seen expanding rubber plugs used but I would not recommend them.

Old 07-31-03, 05:57 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The rubber plugs are fine. They are cheap. Change them at every oil change. You can buy them on a strip with the installation tool.

My vehicle? It would have a new GM oil pan.

Old 08-01-03, 04:30 PM
I have to agree with Joe.. It's more money and time, but it sure beats having your engine bleed to death on the freeway..I've seen quite a few GM oil pans with not enough "meat" to safely tap the threads, and there's no way of telling until you pull the pan off...

My ½ cents....

Old 08-01-03, 06:54 PM
D
I drove a car for 5 years on the same rubber plug ,while not advisable it worked.The rubber is BETTER than oversized oil drain plugs.If someone has a Ford and attemps to install an oversized plug they will break the spotweld holding the hardened stamped steel threads and will need a oil pan.

Old 09-12-08, 02:54 PM
D
Lightbulb

Time-Sert has thread repair for many drain pan applications.

http://www.timesert.com/html/drainplug.html

Old 09-12-08, 03:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This thread is 5 years old David.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: