Squeeking front end/'93 T'bird

Old 07-31-03, 02:08 PM
BowSlayer
Visiting Guest
Question Squeeking front end/'93 T'bird

I can't seem to locate the problem. I replaced the struts, installed a new upper control arm and have tried 'white grease' on joints... I am thinking it is the lower control arm bushings??? If i 'bounce' the car, it squeeks.. when it rains, it quiets the problem (lubricates it?). The problem surfaced 2 months ago on the drivers side (left) and now both sides are doing it. Can I replace the bushings myself? Any other diagnostic ideas? Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-03, 03:17 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Yes, I believe those are notorious squeakers on these vehicles.

Old 07-31-03, 06:59 PM
I would suggest checking the sway bar end links as well if so equipped... I have seen that before on various makes of vehicles.
Billy

Old 08-01-03, 03:50 PM
Outer tie rods, lower ball joints pitman arms, and idler arms are all famous Ford squeakers..Cars seem to be lower ball joints and outer tie rods, and trucks seem to be idler arms and pitman arms.. Have no idea why, just seem what we've run across the most..

Old 08-01-03, 04:07 PM
Outer tie rods, lower ball joints pitman arms, and idler arms are all famous Ford squeakers..Cars seem to be lower ball joints and outer tie rods, and trucks seem to be idler arms and pitman arms.. Have no idea why, just seem what we've run across the most..

Old 08-01-03, 04:45 PM
I agree with Joe. My 94 Tbird squeaked, especially over speed bumps. I was convinced my suspension was bad, and took it into ford 3 different times under warranty, and always came back with the "your front end is fine" bit.

Old 08-09-03, 05:57 AM
BowSlayer
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks to all that replied to my problem...
I went through almost all the possible solutions that were given as causes of the 'phantom squeek'..
Problem was (as best I can tell) that the inner tie rod was VERY badly worn! It had a total lateral movement of almost 1/4"!!

After I replaced the tie-rod, Upper control arm, and stabilizer link (Rubber boots were shot) there is absolutely NO more squeeking

I went as far as to buy new strut bushings for both side.. but seems that they are not needed.. I'll return them and take the $85 refund to get an alignment LOL

Again, many thanks for the help...

BowSlayer~

Old 08-09-03, 12:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Good job.