loose wire on key cylinder?? 96 Tahoe

Old 07-31-03, 07:55 PM
Question loose wire on key cylinder?? 96 Tahoe

This has only happened three times in 7 years, that I know of, the latest was yesterday. When turing the key to the crank position in the ignition, nothing. After releasing the key everything has gone dead electricaly. It is just like the battery had been disconnected. (Terminals are ok) After this happens I cann't get lights to work, dome light, radio etc. The clock resets. However the radio does not need to be reprogramed. After sitting a few minutes, no hitting on the sterring column, just choice words, it will go back to "normal". I fear someday I won't say the right words and it won't go back to normal. Anyone else had similar encounter?
The alarm system has been disconnected and the vehicle has no anti theft.

Ideas are aprreaciated.

DJ

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-03, 03:41 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Could be a multitude of things......you don't give us much vehicle repair history, so can't really guess much.

Could be an out of adjustment ignition switch, a poor connection,etc.

Old 08-01-03, 06:32 PM
Joe, thanks for the reply

Not much electricaly has been repaired on this vehicle except a bad day running headlight switch and something in the computer went amuck. Can not remember when in the history the other two incidences were. It never happens at the house where I would have a voltmeter to check wire connections and I can never duplicate the event. Vehicle has about 115K miles.

Old 08-01-03, 06:46 PM
Clean both ends of both battery cables and the respective mounting points.Also find the body and engine grounds and clean them and retighten.If your battery has leaked acid replace both cables,if it's still original replace it also.You may have a fusibile link going bad also.I suspect a ground issue but anything is possible.