Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Pontiac 455 new rear Seal question

Visiting Guest

07-31-03, 08:39 PM   #1  
cerino2000
Pontiac 455 new rear Seal question

i just put in the crank and new rear main seal tonight on a fresh motor. Haven't done one in about 10 years or so but i specifically remember the crank being hard as hell to turn over when i initially got done with the 455 from 10 years ago. This one however isn't that bad. In fact, i can turn it by grabbing onto a counter weight and pulling hard enough. It won't coast and in fact feels tight but different then the last one regardless. Does anybody here find that unusual? Only difference on this one is that I put a little oil on the seal just before putting the cap on. I didn't do that on the 455 engine about 10 years ago and that motor never leaked. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-01-03, 03:35 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Each engine is different. I'm not sure of the question.

The other motor could have been hard to turn over for a number of reasons. Generally a breaker bar with a socket should be able to turn over a motor. If not, something's stuck/wrong.

Visiting Guest

08-01-03, 05:13 AM   #3  
cerino2000
No specific question, I am looking to see if somebody says "That thing should be way tighter than for you to be able to pull it with a counter weight. It feels OK but remembering what the last one was like, it has me second guessing myself. Maybe I'll get a visual of it again tonight just to make sure everything looks ok. These rope seals are known to be a pain in the butt and I really don't want to be pulling this motor again down the road to fix a leaky seal. Thanks for the reply.

Visiting Guest

08-01-03, 07:28 AM   #4  
redneck
You got the mains torqued to spec? You should have some resistance--the crank is not going to spin that easily--you got assembly lube on the mains? First mistake you made was installing a rope seal--there is a BOP (viton) rear main seal out now for pontiacs. It is about $35 and makes the rope seal obsolite. I wish they were out 10 years ago when I did my last pontiac 400--the rope seal will leak, and the one you replace it with will leak--that was the way pontiacs were--not anymore with the BOP seal! You want to learn about pontiacs? especially 455's--go to classicalpontiac.com Q&A. Search the archives for 455, BOP rear main, etc--it is an awesome site for the pontiac guy. They also have tips on installing the oil pan/gasket (notorous for leaking at the back where the tabs are). Also, when you install the timing cover/waterpump housing you must leave the intake manifold loose and tighten the housing to the intake, then torque the intake. Rest of assembly is in the shop manual!

Visiting Guest

08-01-03, 07:49 AM   #5  
cerino2000
Ya, I am aware of the bop seal. I have done a few of these with the rope and so far no problems. I was curious as to what the BOP was like for durability as well. I know it hasn't been out for very long. I suppose i could always wait on it. I am in no real heurry on this block anyway I guess.

Visiting Guest

08-01-03, 08:51 AM   #6  
cerino2000
OK Red, you made me too nervous. Called BOP Engineering got one coming for Saturday delivery. The thought of having to re-pull the motor was too much.

Visiting Guest

08-01-03, 08:57 AM   #7  
redneck
Anything is better than the rope seal! I actually changed one with the engine in the car! never again, I'll run thicker oil and let it leak, until the motor needs to come out. Good luck, and check the classicalpontiac web site for BOP installation tricks.

08-01-03, 04:18 PM   #8  
I haven't built a whole lot of motors..We just don't do 'em where I work..You didn't mention whether this was with or without rods attached ect..Even so, to recheck your clearances with plasti-guage at this stage might be a good idea...?

Visiting Guest

08-01-03, 06:37 PM   #9  
truckdrivinfool
My 455 is out of a 73 something and I don't remember the tolerences but they were crazy tight (by the manual) and made for a tight motor. That said I dont believe you should be able to spin it by grabbing the counter wieghts.

Did you plastigauge the bearings? I might also inquire if you have had the crank turned and don't have the correct oversize bearings.

Sidenote to red: Those damm rear pan seals......I remembered why I used to run breathers in the valve covers after I took it for a spin around the block and blew that bleepin rear rubber out.

Search this Thread