Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

fusible link

Visiting Guest

07-31-03, 10:57 PM   #1  
heinze
fusible link

I have a short in my fusible link that is running to my ignition, what I want to know is, can I replace it without messing my wiring harness up to much. If the truck won't start, we wiggle the fuse & it starts up. I bought the truck used & do all the repairs myself, the truck used to be diesel, but a gas engine was put in it but everything else was left diesel. any help with this problem would help me out.. Thanks--heinze

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-01-03, 03:30 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Sounds like the harness was probably hacked when the "conversion" was done....

Basically you cut out the old one and splice in the new one. Not that hard.

Visiting Guest

08-01-03, 07:42 PM   #3  
truckdrivinfool
When you cut out the old one make sure the length of the new one is the same as the length determines now much amprage it will take before melting (atleast thats how it was explained to me).

Also you may want to look into what caused the short and fix it first as fuseable links usually don't just get old and burn out.

08-02-03, 04:45 AM   #4  
General Info- Fusable link is also rated by gauge.. 18guage fusable link is a LOT smaller in dia. than a 12 gauge fusable link..You need to make sure that your replace it with the same gauge link wire..just like you'd do for fuses..

But I agree, find what's causing the short before just stinking in new wire...

Search this Thread